PDA

View Full Version : Pan or pot question

They Call Me Pete
02-18-2011, 09:11 AM
Well finally going to boil tomorrow if it's not to windy. I'll be using my turkey fryer(my first year syruping) and wondering if a 16x20 pan would work or should I stick with the pot. I have some rebar that I could make support arms for the pan so it's not such a balancing act with the pan.

jmayerl
02-18-2011, 09:17 AM
I used a flat pan about 20"x24" last year on a barrel and then finished in the turkey fryer. This was not the ideal set up. If you can get some cinder blocks and put them on three sides around the fryer and use a flat pan, the increased surface area will work MUCH better than the pot. Also have a couple of cylinders handy because you will go through alot more propane than you think.

JuniperHillSugar
02-18-2011, 09:18 AM
Pete:

Just try to get the largest area in contact with the fire. If 16"x20" is bigger than the pot I'd use that. Remember if the fire is running up the side of the pan it will scorch the sap at the top. I did that for years, it made a very dark, but tasty syrup.

Good Luck.

They Call Me Pete
02-18-2011, 03:42 PM
I have a awesome outdoor bbq pit at the apartment but no wood. Was thinking of getting pallets and cutting them up. They are free but I'd hate to run out in the middle of boiling. Although I have about 10 gallons to boil and don't know how long I'd need to have the fire going. First year learning curve ;) I think I'll do it in the pan. Plus I'm buying it off of a site member :D

SeanD
02-18-2011, 05:35 PM
Assuming you have a 12" pot, you are looking at a 10-hour boil for 10 gallons of sap. If you use your pan, you are looking at about a 5-hour boil. That's the power of surface area.

Pallets are great, but cutting them up is a lot of work during a boil. Try to get as much cut as possible cut in advance.

Grab a copy of Rink Mann's book Backyard Sugarin' from the library for a crash course in what's going on. You can read it in a night and be well on your way.

Welcome and good luck. You are going to have some great stories when it's all done.

Sean