PDA

View Full Version : One Flowing, One Not???

DRod2
02-17-2011, 08:03 PM
I have two trees on opposite sides of a driveway that one is flowing great and the other has not dripped. The tree that is producing is up hill, about 6 feet in diameter, and the crown is clear of snow. The tree that is not producing is down hill (gathers more ground water), 3 feet in diameter, and the crown is also clear.
What would be the reasoning with this because this is also happening with a few of the other trees on the property?

adk1
02-17-2011, 08:05 PM
Clearly some are female................

molzep
02-17-2011, 08:09 PM
and obstinant? :lol:

adk1
02-17-2011, 08:12 PM
Seriously though, I have no idea.

stoweski
02-18-2011, 05:27 AM
On Wednesday this week I had one tap running and the other 90 were not. No sun, slightly above freezing temps in the afternoon (34) and very low temp in the morning (5). I'm guessing the little bit of sun we actually got hit the tree just right before it went away and got things rolling.

I emptied my buckets yesterday. There were still some trees that hadn't started running... right next to some that had a full bucket!

Only Mother Nature knows the reason why. And maybe Dr. Tim.:)

red maples
02-18-2011, 06:27 AM
I am haveing that here right now even under vaccuum. Some trees just aren't running yet. north side tap are moving but very slowly.

I am no expert by any means but my theory is we got a bit of rain last week or when ever that was, and with the 2-3 ft snow pack still in the woods there is a nice thick1-3 inch layer of ice around the base of the trees. So I don't think there is alot of moisture going up the trunk from the roots. and any moisture is just coming down. from the top.

The other thing in your case is maybe the tree just hasn't thawed enough??? I don't know????

Southtowns27
02-18-2011, 07:53 AM
Same here....never really seen it like this before. My only thought is that there is still a lot of snow in the woods that might be keeping the roots colder on some trees???