PDA

View Full Version : Draw off thermometer calibration question

glfisherman
02-17-2011, 08:01 PM
When setting the boiling point of water on the 0-50 thermometer, set it everytime you boil, or once at the begining or the season?

Brookmaple
02-17-2011, 08:12 PM
Hello,

Boiling points change according to atmospheric pressure--I'd calibrate once or twice daily.

3rdgen.maple
02-17-2011, 10:09 PM
I set it once in the begining of the year and just use it for a reference. The hydrometer is more important. Once the first batch of the day is perfect on the hydrometer I just take a reference of what the thermometer reads and use that number for the day but always always use the hydrometer to finish with. You could even adjust the dial on the thermometer to read 7 when you are at syrup. I just think its a pain to have to take the thermometer out and boil a pot of water and adjust it every day. You cant use the sweet in the pan to set it either.

glfisherman
02-17-2011, 10:12 PM
thanks for the reply, my next question is if you do it once or twice daily when boiling, do you adjust the screw accordingly while boiling to your hydrometer readings, since the temperature gauge is screwed into the pan. Forgive me if this is a dumb question, my first year doing this.

3rdgen.maple
02-17-2011, 10:17 PM
thanks for the reply, my next question is if you do it once or twice daily when boiling, do you adjust the screw accordingly while boiling to your hydrometer readings, since the temperature gauge is screwed into the pan. Forgive me if this is a dumb question, my first year doing this.

Yes you can just get a small box wrench to fit the adjusting screw. If your anything like me you are just gonna give up on tinkering with it and just use it for a close reference when to check for syrup withe the hydrometer. It can change 10 times a day and some days it will be spot on all day.

WESTVIRGINIAMAPLER
02-19-2011, 02:31 PM
I set mine on my evaporator 8 years ago on the first boil and haven't bothered them since. They are a good reference and the variance from day to day isn't going to be that much, so I don't worry about ever changing them.