PDA

View Full Version : Does the Moon effect sap flow???

killingworthmaple
02-17-2011, 07:49 PM
I was seeing that the moon is almost full and was wondering if anyone knows if it effects the flow of sap. Has any studies been done new moon vs. full moon? Interested in your thoughts.

adk1
02-17-2011, 07:52 PM
wow, never thought about it..I guess if you can see the moon that means that it is a clear night and should be colder. thats about all I can tell yeah!

Wind is a big factor I think. " wind from the east, sap flows the least, wind from the west, sap flows the best".

RipTyd
02-17-2011, 08:47 PM
I was out puttin in some taps after work today and I told my little helper that it was the sugar moon and he said "Thats Right The Sugar Moon ". Made my day!!!

Southtowns27
02-18-2011, 08:01 AM
The gravitational pull from the moon helps pull the sap up the tree. Really. :)

wnybassman
02-18-2011, 10:08 AM
Wind is a big factor I think. " wind from the east, sap flows the least, wind from the west, sap flows the best".

Which is barometric pressure related.

Fishing is the same way.

Russ008
02-20-2014, 06:57 PM
I was seeing that the moon is almost full and was wondering if anyone knows if it effects the flow of sap. Has any studies been done new moon vs. full moon? Interested in your thoughts.
The full moon causes sap to rise in trees. This is due to the gravitational pull of the moon.
http://www.chacha.com/question/what-effect-does-a-full-moon-have-on-trees

Oldtimers down here refer to a “maple moon,” the full moon closest to the harvest season. They hold that the sap really breaks only once the maple moon comes. I even heard one talk about a gravitational effect on the trees. I have a lot of respect for a lot of what these oldtimers say, but when it comes to maple syrup being affected by the moon, I get into a lot of arguments. We have a chalk board in our sugar house, and it’s a pretty odd site to see the formula for gravitational force juxtaposed against our lists of sap and maple syrup outputs per night. Makes it look like we’re doing something sciency.
http://www.freshmaplesyrup.com/maple-syrup-moonscape/

Sap flow varies from day to day and tree to tree. Many claim that flow is heaviest during the full moon—a period the Chippewa call ee skee guh mee see gay gee zis (maple sugar moon).
(http://www.freshmaplesyrup.com/maple-syrup-moonscape/)http://www.north-link.net/cmsakry/1pub/89413dnt.htm

Many believe that full moons can cause a spike in criminal activities. According to E Prise Now (http://www.dothaneagle.com/enterprise_ledger/news/article_29e97428-96e4-11e2-883a-0019bb30f31a.html), this theory revolves around the fact that the moon controls the waters of Earth, causing large waves in the oceans. Therefore, with the brain being a very moist organ, it has led many to believe that the moon can control the human body, which is about 80 percent water.
http://www.scienceworldreport.com/articles/5835/20130327/full-moon-worm-come-out-tonight-typical-march.htm

Evets
02-20-2014, 07:51 PM
I don't know much about trees and sap flow yet, but my wife is a nurse in a retirement home and swears that the full moon affects the old folks in some funny ways.

SDdave
02-21-2014, 07:29 AM
Sorry to hijack thread...

We had the same saying but a little different in south west MN. Wind from the east, fish bite the least, wind from the west fish best, but wind from the south blows it right into the fish's mouth.

Ok back to regular programming.

SDdave

Vermont Creation Hardwood
02-22-2014, 06:08 PM
There are a lot of old myths about the full moon. The moon's effect is psychological, it's a memory exclamation point. Easy to see, easy to notice, the full moon becomes a marker for memory. Anything that happens around the full moon becomes associated in memory. So if you have a good sap flow the day after a full moon, you'll remember that better than a good sap flow after a dark night.

Tigermaple
02-23-2014, 09:21 AM
We'll have to wait until March 16 for the maple moon this year. If the moon can move the tides it can move sap.

Vermont Creation Hardwood
02-23-2014, 09:39 PM
The full moon is a function of light reflection by the surface of the moon due to the orientation of the moon, sun, and earth. The gravitational pull of the moon is not related to whether it's full or not. So the full moon is no different in it's pull than any other phase of the moon or the new moon.

bees1st
02-24-2014, 03:24 AM
Vermont Creation Hardwood , I wish to clarify a bit to what you said . Yes whether the moon is full or not has no affect on gravitational pull ,BUT it just so happens that when the is full ( and new ) it is at it's closest point to earth . Thus affecting the tides and such .

Hop Kiln Road
02-24-2014, 05:19 AM
And thus the word lunacy.

Cabin
02-24-2014, 07:22 AM
Vermont Creation Hardwood , I wish to clarify a bit to what you said . Yes whether the moon is full or not has no affect on gravitational pull ,BUT it just so happens that when the is full ( and new ) it is at it's closest point to earth . Thus affecting the tides and such .

I thought when the moon was full or new the earth, moon and sun are in a straight line thereby both the moon and sun's gravitational effect are combined in one direction.

bees1st
02-24-2014, 06:19 PM
That too .

CharlieVT
02-24-2014, 06:32 PM
Actually when the moon is full, the earth is between the sun and the moon, thus the gravitational pull of the moon and the sun on the earth are in opposite directions.
http://www.moonconnection.com/moon_phases.phtml

spud
02-24-2014, 06:49 PM

Not sure if studies have been done on this. If it is found that full moons cause great sap runs I will be in my woods tomorrow hanging the moon to all my trees.:lol:

Spud

CharlieVT
02-24-2014, 07:02 PM
The gravitational pull of the moon on the earth, most noticable in the ocean tides, is a function of the moon's changing position with respect to the surface of the earth as the earth spins AND the moon's relationship to the sun as the moon orbits the earth.

The moon's phase (which is a function of light, not gravity) is also determined by the moon's relationship to the sun AND the earth as the moon orbits the earth.

The moon's gravititational pull on the earth is additive with that of the sun at the time of a new moon.
The moon's gravititational pull on the earth is in opposition to that of the sun when the moon is full.
When the moon and the earth and the sun are all in line, which occurs at both the time of a new moon and a full moon, the ocean tides are higher, called spring tides.

When the moon is at 90 degrees to a line draw through the sun and earth, which occurs at the times of the moon's first quarter and last quarter, tides are lowest, called neap tides.

The gravitational pull of celestial bodies has an effect on the smallest of things, for example: "...snails....actually perceive the variations in gravity that drive the tides..."
http://www.livescience.com/2954-tiny-tide-travelers-sense-gravity.html

CONCLUSION: The moon's location above the surface of the earth AND its relationship to the sun will influence the flow of sap in trees, but not so much that you are going to notice. :lol:

theguywiththename
03-01-2014, 09:45 PM
its actually called the worm moon. very disapointed to be missing the moon as its still -14c and droping. my sap always runs the best during full moon and this year i was going to find out how much better seeing as the next morning even my worst producers and my large 3 gallon pails would be over flowing

Russ008
02-07-2016, 09:16 AM
I had so much fun chatting this up in the last years I though I'd bring it up again !

saphound
02-15-2016, 04:26 PM
Glad you did Russ, it's an interesting topic. This is just my second year so certainly still learning, but I do remember being here on the forum last year on a daily basis and the best runs that were reported (and my own) were not during a full moon. It's all about favorable temps. Without that the moon ain't gonna help you much. So, if you get favorable temps AND a full moon, maybe it could have an effect, but how would you really know how much could be attributed to the full moon? With tree pressures, wind, sun exposure, crown size..snow cover, frost depth, etc..so many factors involved.

Cedar Eater
02-15-2016, 05:10 PM
I don't know much about trees and sap flow yet, but my wife is a nurse in a retirement home and swears that the full moon affects the old folks in some funny ways.

Does it make them go out and drill holes in trees in sub-freezing weather?

killingworthmaple
02-16-2016, 05:55 AM
Glad you had a year of laughter at my expence. I was just wondering about it one day and thought I would ask the question I should of thought twice before asking I guess. LOL