PDA

View Full Version : Pan Question

Maple Hunter
02-17-2011, 05:52 PM
Well, this is my first post, hopefully I've come to the right place. I just had a guy build me a stainless pan, but unfortunately he used 26 gauge steel and I'm now having a heck of a time finding someone who can weld so thin a sheet metal. A single place (out of many) may be able to weld it, but they wan't around $100. Since I only need the four 8" corners done I'm thinking that's a bit high. I've thought of soldering them, but I'm not sure whether that would hold up to the heat. What are my options at this point?

Mark
02-17-2011, 06:34 PM
Solder with lead free solder. I like Harris Sta-brite silver solder. The solder will not melt unless it goes dry.

RileySugarbush
02-17-2011, 06:41 PM
Soldering will work fine it you lap the corners 3/8 to 1/2 inch/ There are tricks to soldering stainless but you can do it.

Use an iron if you can, or a very very low flame on a propane torch. Sand the joints clean right before you solder them. Then sand it again before you solder.

Use a liquid flux like Harris Sta-clean.

Low temp, clean and you will have it. Use lead free solder.

Watch this:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fV0aLDxlvXk

Maple Hunter
02-17-2011, 06:50 PM
Since I'm boiling the sap down it won't always be full. Does that matter? The sides will also be within the stove for more surface area being heated. Seems that might further the problem with using solder. But I'm not that familiar with it.

RileySugarbush
02-17-2011, 06:56 PM
If you have any part of the seam in the fire that doesn't have sap on the inside, you are in trouble. The solder would melt.

If you had a welded pan it will warp and burn. I used to get away with having steam table pans down in the fire, the would buckle a little on the sides and sap would burn along the sides but still made good syrup.

Big_Eddy
02-18-2011, 09:51 AM
Well, this is my first post, hopefully I've come to the right place. I just had a guy build me a stainless pan, but unfortunately he used 26 gauge steel and I'm now having a heck of a time finding someone who can weld so thin a sheet metal. A single place (out of many) may be able to weld it, but they wan't around $100. Since I only need the four 8" corners done I'm thinking that's a bit high. I've thought of soldering them, but I'm not sure whether that would hold up to the heat. What are my options at this point?

I weld a lot - I wouldn't weld 4 @ 8" of 26 gauge stainless for under $100. I think that is a very fair price for what you want done. Stainless is tricky enough, requires backpurging (which means he will need to create a special "dam" to seal off the inside of the joint and flood it with argon,) and 26 gauge is no picnic.

Oh yeah - if you try to solder it first and it doesn't work - expect his price to double as he will now need to remove ALL of the solder residue before starting.

Maple Hunter
02-18-2011, 05:15 PM
I had the pan welded. At least someone was able to do it and I should be up and running. I'll try to post a photo of it once I pick it up. Thanks for the all the info.