PDA

View Full Version : Do I need a float?

MainelyMaple
02-17-2011, 05:19 PM
Again this is our first year with a "real evaporator", its an old leader 40"x13 I believe king pans? Now we have the float in the back pan set up to control the incoming sap from the head tank into the small "warming tray" my question is do we need a float to control the sap going into the syrup pan? or will the syrup pan remain the same level as the back if piped together? Here's a picture of the evaporator if it helps. thanks

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v214/SMorin119/utf-8BSU1HMDAyMjUtMjAxMTAyMTAtMTEwNi5qcGc.jpg

Haynes Forest Products
02-17-2011, 05:46 PM
You do need to have a pipe between the pans. A valve between the pans is a nice touch for cleaning and shut down to stop the mixing. DO not forget to open as soon as boil is reached. you dont need a float if its a drop flue pan. the only way a float will work is if you have differant sap levels from flue to syrup and that isnt the case in drop flue pans I have had and seen.

MainelyMaple
02-17-2011, 05:48 PM
Thats what I was hoping to hear, thanks

Rhino
02-17-2011, 05:49 PM
As you draw off, the float should be able to keep up with the amount of liquid you are takeing off and the level should keep fairly the same in your front syrup pan. If you want to get a little more safety cushion you can do what we and alot of other producers do and lift your flue pan up 1/2 inch with 2" wide X 1/2" thick strap steel. This will make your flue pan boil a bit faster and like i said, will give you a 1/2 inch more of liquid depth in your syrup pan. But i would always keep a eye on the float to make sure it is adding more as you draw off no matter what. Good luck

maplekids
04-12-2011, 05:27 PM
dear MainelyMaple
these are not king pans because king pans have the float box on the outside of the back pan. this is a leader special drop flue so you dont need a float for the front pans