PDA

View Full Version : Foam - is there sugar in there?

PapaSmiff
02-17-2011, 11:49 AM
I've been removing the foam during my boils. I don't want to use vegetable oil or any defoamer, especially since my operation is so small.

Am I removing sugar when I remove the foam? Should I use a defoamer instead of removing it?

Lyle
02-17-2011, 12:31 PM
I remove the foam. I don't think I loose very much sugar, and the foam helps carry off dust and other particulate contamination. If you do decide to use oil though, it only requires a drop to knock the foam down and lasts quite a while.

jc_lamere
02-17-2011, 01:10 PM
From my understanding you want to get the foam out of the way as it impeeds your evaporation effeciency or (GPH).

collinsmapleman2012
02-17-2011, 07:32 PM
theres two types of foam, a thick white foam that contains dirt, and impedes boiling, take that off right away. the other is a multitude of bubbles that are the color of syrup, they tell you that the syrup is about done. this is able to be left on.

adk1
02-17-2011, 07:42 PM
we use a minute drop of 1/2 n 1/2, like the stuff you put in your coffee. only takes a drop

benchmark
02-17-2011, 09:00 PM
The first year i ever boiled sap i would scoop the foam off and put it in my coffee. I did get wiser after and realized im sure i was consuming the impurities that were being boiled off. Definitely had some sugar in it, as it did make the coffee sweet!