PDA

View Full Version : Are we going to have a short season?

sawyerkirk
02-17-2011, 10:22 AM
Weaherman says it's going to be in the 60's for the next week, the trees will start budding quickly with that kind of weather. Any thoughts on that? we've got about a gallon of the finest syrup God ever create allready, and 50 Gallons of sap ready to go, so If it's short I'm still happy.

brttnway
02-17-2011, 10:59 AM
Weaherman says it's going to be in the 60's for the next week, the trees will start budding quickly with that kind of weather. Any thoughts on that? we've got about a gallon of the finest syrup God ever create allready, and 50 Gallons of sap ready to go, so If it's short I'm still happy.
What did you use to crate your arch? I hoping our Heavenly father extends the gathering season as I have only a small amount of sap thus far

sawyerkirk
02-17-2011, 11:52 AM
Oddly enough I used concrete decorative pavers 8" octagnol. My brother took up his patio years ago and gave me the pavers, they work well, so far they are holding up, but we'll see how they do by next year.

brttnway
02-17-2011, 12:26 PM
Oddly enough I used concrete decorative pavers 8" octagnol. My brother took up his patio years ago and gave me the pavers, they work well, so far they are holding up, but we'll see how they do by next year.
Awesome - reusing material!! I'm try to do the same going from stock pot over an open firepit to a FREE oil tank, metal bed frame and old conveyor slider bed converted to an evaporator. Unfortunately have not finish that project yet so back to the firepit and stock pot. Good luck sugaring down

HAHA I 1
02-17-2011, 06:21 PM
We have only brought in about 1100 gallons of sap, so I hope it isn't over yet. Its been almost 70deg 2 days in a row now. Supposed to get down to 20s on Monday/Tuesday and again on Saturday next week. Keeping my fingers crossed!

Mark72
02-17-2011, 07:42 PM
I am considering going another 1/4" into the tap holes If the trees don't run well when it drops back down. I've read here that it would be short lived If it works. We can only hope for the best.

Mark

ahowes
02-18-2011, 05:30 AM
I've gotten 132 gallons sap from 25 taps. I have 6 of those taps on some bigger trees behind the house and they have been huge disappointments two years in a row. I think maybe it's because they are in an old hog/cow lot and maybe they were negatively affected from that.
Being only my second year, I don't have a clue what to expect with these warm temps. The syrup I've made so far has been all top notch and the sap sugar rate has been high.
I've only had one 24 hour period where my milk jugs were near to overflowing two consecutive trips into the woods. All of the other days I've only collected about 1/3 to 1/2 gallon from most taps. I usually run them at dawn and dusk.
Not all is lost though. Have gotten in some good bike riding and wienie roasting in the past week :)

the old guy
02-19-2011, 12:12 PM
We had to pull several of our taps. Like Arnie says the sugar has been great this year, but the nearly 70 degree weather has taken its toll. Cloudy sap, yellow sap, miller moths, ants, and even a dead mouse! all in the sap -- too much for me I think I am going to quit and wait for better weather to come.

the old guy

Mark72
02-19-2011, 05:37 PM
Had a pretty nice run today after a surprise cold snap last night!:)

Mark

sawyerkirk
02-20-2011, 09:56 AM
I noticed my sap was cloudy, glad to know it's not just me. we had a pretty low sap on Sat. so far Sunday isn't looking much better, I relocated some of my taps to hopefully better trees, those things are a booger to get out without destroying them.