PDA

View Full Version : Extension cord guage

DaveB
02-17-2011, 08:49 AM
I'm looking at using a 1HP pump for a releaser about 4-500' from my Sugarhouse where I have power available through a single outlet. That outlet is connected directly back to the circuit panel in my house and is on it's own circuit. I'd like to power the vacuum pump there as well as the releaser pump and a shop light in the sugar house, if at all possible. I could always run a separate extension cord from the house if needed.

I'm mostly concerned about running an extension cord 4-500' to the releaser pump and what guage it needs to be. If I did the math right, the 1 HP pump would be about 6.3 Amps. What guage then, does the cord need to be? Would 12 guage be OK?

Dave

emo
02-17-2011, 10:06 AM
I know in a house wiring 12Gauge is good for a 20amp breaker, but the distance you are going would drop the amp rating and voltage at the end of the run. Found this web site, ttp://www.powerstream.com/Wire_Size.htm. At 500', this indicates that you would have about 109+ volts. Use 10AWG wire and you would still have 113+ volts. You would probaly be better of using at least 10AWG or larger wire for that distance. This page has a nice Load Carrying Capacities as well.

spud
02-17-2011, 11:29 AM
I have run 10 gauge wire 500 feet before and never had a problem. Don't buy cords though. What you need to buy is a 500 foot roll of 10 gauge wire and buy a male and a female end for it. I have done this with 12 gauge wire also but it would trip the breaker every now and then. :)

Mike

maple flats
02-17-2011, 04:05 PM
I would use 8 ga because you might at times run 24/7. If the voltage drops to 113 you would be marginally ok, but are you sure the incoming voltage is good? Read with a meter and moniter it several times of day. Many locals have a fluxuation and if you drop low the motor runs hotter and you start to get thermal breakdown on the windings. Can the motor be wired 240V, if yes, you will be better off because your amps will be half and the voltage drop will be way less than half of what is was on 120v. I don't have my charts and I've got to run in 5 minutes, but 240 would use lighter wire which costs less. You can run 240 thru 2 conductor with ground, one leg to each pole and ground to neutral. You could likely use 12 ga safely, but I'd need to do the math to be sure.