PDA

View Full Version : brown sap

Champ's Sugah Shack
02-17-2011, 08:23 AM
I use clear food grade buckets to collect my sap. I noticed that one of my trees has started to produce some sap. The sap that is being produced is brown in color. In the three years I have produced syrup I have never seen brown sap. I have seen a yellow tinted sap but not brown. Has anyone seen this before and is it safe to boil?

Champ's Sugah Shack
02-17-2011, 08:25 AM
I should have said clean white food grade buckets. Sorry.

Maplewalnut
02-17-2011, 10:08 AM
is tap rusted?

Champ's Sugah Shack
02-17-2011, 10:14 AM
No I am using new plastic taps with clean lines running into the buckets.

Bemis
02-17-2011, 10:32 AM
I had one tree do the same thing this year. Only the fiirst day, and a very small amount of sap. Looks to be clear now. odd

mtcrumpit
02-17-2011, 11:15 AM
be careful where you tap the tree. if your near a crotch from a branch or a rot hole above the location you could get brown sap. Happened to me last year and never found the tree, tough figuring it out using a pipe line. good luck this year

whalems
02-17-2011, 12:10 PM
maybe Its just closer to syrup!!;)

Maplewalnut
02-17-2011, 12:52 PM
Unplug it and see if it resets :) Seriously, I have never seen that but would not use that sap. Maybe it will clear in a few days. If nothing else I would be interested in what happens over time. good luck

pierre
03-01-2011, 04:15 PM
i had that happen to me and found some barbed wire the tree grew around it and its imbedded in it about 5" or so its on the edge of the wood lot. the farmer used the trees on the outside for his fence line. so we tap on the inside seams to be fine therE

Vandy
03-20-2014, 09:53 AM
I just had this happen.. I could see from my house a real dark bucket so went out to investigate. Until I found a lid with same dark brown I had no idea. It rained last night.. Drips from the tree crown getting into my bucket. Only for home consumption so I don't think I will dump it out..

Run Forest Run!
03-20-2014, 10:11 AM
Vandy, dump it. The season in Ontario hasn't even really begun yet, and that little bit of sap that got discoloured by rain water dripping into it is nothing compared to what you are going to see very soon. I totally get where you are coming from. This is your first year and you are excited. Just you wait.........when the real sap starts to flow you are going to freak out. ;) It's an amazing thing. Enjoy!