PDA

View Full Version : bulk tank

Maple Flats
10-27-2005, 07:58 PM
I just bought a used SS bulk tank (400+ gal) with lids and all. It is labeled "sunset" I got it at a great price, $100. I need to haul it before the 11th of Nov and it is in a leanto shed. Does anyone have any idea how much it might weigh? Didn't measure it but I would guess about 5' w x 3.5' H x 9' long. I couldn't see them but it should have legs, they are either removed or sunk into the ground, but I need to raise it, get something under it to help get it onto my trailer, any suggestions are appreciated. I will be loading it by hand with helpers and any handtools I can think of.
Thanks
Maple Flats

WESTVIRGINIAMAPLER
10-27-2005, 08:38 PM
I bought a 625 gallon sunset a few months ago. I would guess around 400 to 500 lbs without the compressor and agitator.

syrupmaker
10-28-2005, 01:40 AM
Maple Flats....I would say Brandon is pretty close on the weight. Remove the agitator but try not to disturb (remove) the compressor unless you have a freind that can draw it down and save the freon. Get a couple guys, a sheet of 1/2 or 3/4" plywood, 2 2x6's and 4-5 hunks of pipe. Pick up the tank and slide the plywood under it. Use the 2x6's to ramp the trailer, pipes under the plywood as rollers and push or winch it up on the trailer. As the pipes come out the back, reuse them upfront again untill your on the trailer. When we picked up our 3x10 it only took 4 guys, two sheets and a bunch of pipes. But it was easy, even with the grates and 1/2 the fire brick in the fire box up onto a goose neck trailer.

Rick

brookledge
10-28-2005, 08:55 PM
Rick's got it right. That is how I'd do it
Keith

Maple Flats
10-29-2005, 05:53 PM
Thanks guys, I'll try that. My trailer has ramps, just need the pipes and plywood. I have a 10 x 20 pipe framed vender's tent, the pipes should work good for this, they're about 1.25 O.D. and I have several, will take about 10 with me, have a 3/4" plywood for under the unit and I'll come up with some boards to roll on until I get it out of the leanto it is in. Then I can go up the ramps. My problem was that someone told me they weigh about a ton, hope you guys are right, 600# or so is much easier that 2000.
Maple Flats

Maple Flats
11-02-2005, 07:49 PM
All went better than feared. I picked up the tank yesterday with the help of 4 friends. I put 2 straps each hooked to form an endless loop, doubled them under the tank for a sling and we carried the tank out of the building it was in and set it on my trailer. When carrying it we would advance about a 1-1 1/2 foot at a time. No problems, thanks guys, but it was lighter than feared, likely a little under 400#, turned out to be 415 gal tank for $100. Has all fittings, covers, lids and agitator. Will not use agitator and I'll need to make a cover for that hole into tank top. How many actually hook up compressor and cool sap as instead of just using as a good quality insulated tank?

WESTVIRGINIAMAPLER
11-02-2005, 08:48 PM
You likely bought a tank with a bad cooling line. That tank in good working condition is worth around $ 2000. It wouldn't do you any good probably to try, but it might possibly be worth it. :?

Maple Flats
11-03-2005, 07:53 PM
The tank came out of the milkhouse on a farm that was sold, the tank was working when removed but sat idle for about 10 years. The farmer planned to go back into milking again with all purchased feed and no pasture but died before it happened, his widow sold me the unit and his son had it in storage. Not sure how long a unit is good if the lines were cut and left open, may check someday with a pressure check and go from there.