PDA

View Full Version : 2x6 homemade arch with pan troubles ?

sugar ED
02-17-2011, 03:01 AM
I'm not sure if someone could find/answer this on the other thread so heres my post ...30yr.old wood/oil furnace turned arch ...heares my PROBLEM / Question, lol . As u can see -30yr. furnace to an arch .maybe I'm alittle cheap, but the 20yr old 55 gal barrow stove wasn't going to keep me up for days this year ! So I made a 2x6 arch, found a used 2x4rear pan and ordered (local metal shop) a 2x2 divided front syrup pan (continus flow) ...But to make long...to shorter story- when I went to pick it up... It looked sweet !! but a little big.. like 24"x28" Now I gots to figger out what to do with the extra 4" of pan (is it going work hanging over the front of the arch by 2 to 4 inches?) as time is not on my side to make the flu longer or should I turn the pan and leave 2" on each side overhanging? 1 other option - raise the rail by 2" at sametime add 4" to the front allowing heat to reach all the bottoms of pans ???? What too do ?

RileySugarbush
02-17-2011, 06:01 AM
A little overhang won't hurt. I'd leave your arch as is for the year. I don't think it will matter which way you set It either.

killingworthmaple
02-17-2011, 07:03 AM
I agree I had a pan that over by 1 or 2 inches and it was not a problem.

sugar ED
02-18-2011, 12:07 AM
I think ur both right ! With the run we got going (CNY), and the tanks a filling ,almost 45 degrees at 1230 Am, (just left the shack) ,headed for 50 degrees + tomarrow ,and a few more taps to go (about 150) Think I'd be bitting off more than I can chew or maybe I allready have!!. It's going to haft to do!. So good luck to all !and Thanks again