PDA

View Full Version : tubeing tools

chrisnjake9
02-17-2011, 12:53 AM
well I'm going to break down and buy a set of double handled tubing tool I was wondering were to get best price and which one is best

Farmboy
02-17-2011, 05:48 AM
Don't get leaders. There is a big nose on it so you can't get close to the tree. Get the one in the lapirre catologe. $180. I talked to my local dealer and they said there the cheapest and they work the best. There the only one they keep in stock. And I looked in all the catologes and $180 was the cheapest price around.

Dill
02-17-2011, 08:53 AM
There are times I like having that big nose, its handy to prop against the tree and my belly to hold while I'm setting the tee in.
I bought the 2 handed from Maple Guys, I'm happy with it, I can get closer to the trees. And working on stressed lines its completely worth the price.

WESTVIRGINIAMAPLER
02-19-2011, 03:00 PM
I have a 2 handed Leader tool with the big nose and it works good for me. Probably the lowest price of the 2 handed tools.

adk1
02-19-2011, 03:29 PM
I was told that the big nose gets in the way when splicing close to a tree though. I hear the Lapierre is a decent tool as well

adk1
03-28-2011, 12:34 PM
what about the tool to install the saddle fittings? anyone use their drill instead?

MilesTeg
03-28-2011, 12:52 PM
The first year I set up tubing I used the drill I thought it went well then when I pulled the saddles to upgrade my line for vac I realized that the holes were junk so I borrowed the actual tool and will never go back. I picked up a two handed tool in Vernon for 135 it simple with no addons and I love it ill check the label when I get home and post his info for everyone.

adk1
03-28-2011, 01:01 PM
The first year I set up tubing I used the drill I thought it went well then when I pulled the saddles to upgrade my line for vac I realized that the holes were junk so I borrowed the actual tool and will never go back. I picked up a two handed tool in Vernon for 135 it simple with no addons and I love it ill check the label when I get home and post his info for everyone.

thanks, please do

sapman
03-28-2011, 08:38 PM
I love my Pruno auto-tension (deluxe) two hand tool. Got it from Lapierre a few years ago, best price. $240 then, $251.60 now. I've heard the Chamberland is ok, but not as good as Pruno?

Monster Maples
03-28-2011, 08:55 PM
I have the same pruno auto tension tool and use it more than the other. I think it is well worth the price. It was hard to justify it when we bought it, but after the first time we used it was justified.:)

adk1
03-29-2011, 10:11 AM
If you were going to use the black polyethlene for mainline, would you really need the tools? I would assume that the black is not as flexable as the 30P

Thad Blaisdell
03-29-2011, 10:29 AM
Its like anything that you do in any aspect of life.... There is a right tool for the job. For the small producer, purchasing all the tools is ridiculous, but as you get larger you need to make your life easier and faster. At my size if a tool saves me time I buy it.

MilesTeg
04-01-2011, 11:28 AM
The two handed tool I use in from top notch repair & fabrication in little falls NY phone # is 315-823-1018. I paid 135$ for mine and love it Very basic with no addons.

vtmapleman
04-08-2011, 02:48 PM
Would recommend that you get the auto adjustment ones. yes, they are about $50 more; however, when the day comes and you should have different type of tubing you will kick yourself every time you have to work on them. ie. semi-rigid drops and rigid laterals.

stoweski
04-08-2011, 05:04 PM
Ok, so what big-time producer would rent/lend his or her tools to a backyarder looking to upgrade from buckets to lines?

The other question I have is besides the mainline drill and the one hand or two hand tubing tool (or as Bascom's puts it, 'tubing machine')?

adk1
05-08-2011, 06:49 AM
Guess I am gonna break down and buy a pair of tubing tools. I have read all the reviews. still dont know what to buy. I figured that it will be a useful item to have with all the fittings and Y's that I will have to install, even though I will only have like 20 laterals.

stoweski
05-08-2011, 07:39 AM
I just picked up the Lapierre two handed tubing tool. $185 in their catalog. Looks like a nice machine. Decided not to go with the one handed tool also as it looks like the two handed tool is capable of putting in spouts as well. After looking the two over - automatic vs. non-automatic, I went with the non because I am only using 5/16" line and don't plan on buying anything different. Hopefully Lapierre doesn't change the dia of their lines!

Not going to buy any other tools - for now. I'll use my cordless drill or find someone with a mainline drill to make holes for the saddles. Only other issue I'll have is putting elbows on the ends of my mainlines.

Still looking for options/opinions about borrowing/renting tools from larger producers. Has anyone done this? Any issues with damage? If you rent, what do you charge typically?

lakeview maple
05-08-2011, 09:08 AM
there are a ton of people on maple trader who have fabricated there own tools ,just do a search in home made equipment,theres alot of talent for alot less money

3rdgen.maple
05-08-2011, 09:36 AM
I agree Lakeview. If you can weld or have a buddy that can make your own. I made my tools for about 20 bucks and a half hour of work. Saves the wallet for other needs and they work very well.

adk1
05-08-2011, 02:25 PM
Stoweski, when I was at the Leader open house this year they had a cheap looking saddle driller, it was blue. It was $17 I think, but plasitc. Someone on this site said that they had one and that is what they carry in the woods at all times. He said it works well. For those of us who dont plan on drilling hundreds of saddles, might be worth the look. Not in the catalog or online. I have emailed Leader a few times asking about it, but have not gotten a single response from them. I plan on using my cordless too, since I only will be installing maybe 20 saddles.

lakeview maple
05-08-2011, 05:15 PM
I agree 3rdGen ,I ordered my pliers for 8 bucks for 10 inch ones,the vise grips at lowes for a buck a piece,and the connector nut was about 80 cents, grand total about 10 dollars and a little welding,I dont get how they charge 150 to 200 for tools that arnt that complicated,oh well good old fashion American ingenuity, or better yet lack of 200 bucks for the tool. LOL ,God Bless and have a great summer,Al

allgreenmaple
05-08-2011, 05:20 PM
Stoweski, when I was at the Leader open house this year they had a cheap looking saddle driller, it was blue. It was $17 I think, but plasitc. Someone on this site said that they had one and that is what they carry in the woods at all times. He said it works well. For those of us who dont plan on drilling hundreds of saddles, might be worth the look. Not in the catalog or online. I have emailed Leader a few times asking about it, but have not gotten a single response from them. I plan on using my cordless too, since I only will be installing maybe 20 saddles. Here ya go ADK...................http://andersonsmaplesyrup.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=72&products_id=220

maple flats
05-08-2011, 06:52 PM
That is the same punch I've used for 8 seasons. It works good, is easy to use and light to carry. It still cuts clean and easy. I think I paid about $6 in 2004.

Randy Brutkoski
05-08-2011, 08:59 PM
My so called cheap plastic punch has punched well over 1000 holes and still going strong. If $17 is too much then you are getting into the wrong hobby. Pull the trigger and buy one so we can put this thread to bed.

adk1
05-09-2011, 07:35 AM
Does it work the same on black waterpipe?? If I hear a yes, I i will order one.

Randy Brutkoski
05-09-2011, 01:35 PM
I only use black pipe. No point in wasting all of your $ on the blue stuff. I bought 25, 400ft. rolls of 1 inch for $59 a roll at F.W. Webbs a couple of weeks ago. If I had more $ I would of bought a trailer load.