PDA

View Full Version : How much sap/syrup do I draw off for finishing?

Friar_Athanasius
02-16-2011, 07:17 PM
I am using a 2x4 pan with 3 sections and draw off valves.

I know that as the sap thickens and turns to syrup it moves through the sections and gathers at the opposite side of the pan by the valve. Once the sap is within two degrees of syrup (right?) you draw off but how do you know how much to draw off? I hope this question makes sense.

Related to the above: But since my pan is sitting on a commercial gas stove can't I just let it finish where it is and draw off when its syrup?

OGDENS SUGAR BUSH
02-16-2011, 07:52 PM
watch your thermomoter when it drops stop drawing off. or some guys will use a spoon and use the apron test

Doc
02-16-2011, 08:14 PM
I'm not a pro but I watch the thermometer. I then quickly check a sample with the hydrometer to assure that it's syrup and recheck again as I decide to quit drawing off as the temp drops. Some comes off a bit beyond syrup and then it thins out a bit as you draw. On my small setup I have drawn off anywhere from 1 - 1 1/2 quarts before the temp comes down. I have always finished in the evaporator but many finish off because they are concerned with perfection. We use our syrup for personal ue and give much of it away to friends and family.
I have only had one container that formed crystals and have had no family drop over. :)
Have fun!!! Sweatening the pans Friday Night!!!

Harken
02-16-2011, 09:10 PM
My pan is the same as yours. I try to finish my syrup a little heavy(+1 brix) in the pan. I start each draw when the hydrometer gets to the proper number, then draw until the temp. on the thermometer comes down 2 deg.

Haynes Forest Products
02-16-2011, 11:18 PM
Slower draw offs and constant checking and smaller draws and you will get the hang of it. You dont want to Jackrabbit your draw offs by over doing it then waiting longer to catch up and then over drawing. SLOW AND STEADY. By the time the thermometer reacts to the temp you have over done it so decide on the amount you draw off and shut the valve and let the rig equalize and then check the density and do it again.