PDA

View Full Version : Does anybody lift 50' total or more?

pelz
02-16-2011, 02:39 PM
I've read many posts here and recall a few that have, could you share your success and failures? I will need to overcome 100' total but distance is a factor, 50' of total lift and i would be at electric to pump.

Thompson's Tree Farm
02-16-2011, 06:37 PM
pelz,
Are we talking pumping sap or sap ladders?

pelz
02-16-2011, 09:39 PM
if i could do a series of ladders to that height, then i could reach it with an electric releaser closer to home. if i used mechanical releaser i would pump and haul or pump 1000' or so. concern was sap sitting in that much line between pumping. is it a worry?

Thompson's Tree Farm
02-17-2011, 04:39 AM
A series of ladders would consume a lot of vacuum so should be avoided if possible. I use a hydrovac gas powered vacuum pump with a built in sap pump with a.mechanical releaser. It actually powers 3 releasers and all the sap is brought back to the releaser at the pump site and then pumped 4000 plus feet through 1 and 1/4 inch pipe ( and then re pumped 1800 feet more). There is an initial head of 75 or so feet. I can not set the system up to drain and sap stays in the line. Problems? yes, pump line will remain frozen a good part of the day and in the latter part of the season sap will warm up a lot. I also lose all the sap in a mile of tube at the end of the year. My alternative is making a drive through axle deep mud about 8 times a day to bring that sap out so I am trying to do the best I can in my situation.