PDA

View Full Version : Half-Pint stove pipe advice needed

Sweet Mountain
02-16-2011, 01:26 PM
My Leader half-pint just arrived this week. It is time to install stove pipe. I have a 13' x 20' finished outbuilding -electric, drywalled and tiled floor. Should I send the stove pipe through the roof or out the wall? Are there any specs on the placement inside the building? Is the placement the same as for a wood stove placed inside the house?

Greg Morin
02-16-2011, 01:51 PM
sounds like you have invested some $$$ check with your cod officer but I would go thru thr roof the less elbows the better

adk1
02-16-2011, 02:07 PM
definatly, much better draw for sure.

Sweet Mountain
02-16-2011, 02:26 PM
what about the distance of the stove from the interior walls. My wood stove has heat shield sides and is placed at least 12" from the wall and the smoke stack is 24" off the wall. I am assuming that the evaporator furnace portion will get much hotter than a wood stove. Am I correct? I don't want to burn down the building. I figure if I can install the woodstove pipe myself I can install the evaporator stove pipe myself. Just need a little direction. Thanks!

johnallin
02-16-2011, 03:25 PM
That pipe off the 1/2 pint will get glowing red if you fire it hard enough. I know because I had one..

I think you will be better off with the pipe going up through the roof, but lots go through the wall. The 1/2 pint's firebox isn't as big as a 2X6, so it doesn't need as much draw. Going through the roof adds some added costs with roof jacks and caps that you can avoid by going through the wall also. You can see our stack in the link to pictures below.

Another member here - Dave Klish - has lots of good advice on clearances; you may search some of his threads.

Good luck with you new setup - the 1/2 pint is an awesome rig for its size.

Brent
02-16-2011, 05:12 PM
If you have a more or less typical roof and go up throuh it
you could have 15 to 20 feet of stack. The draw you will get with that much stack will be HUGE. You'll get a very hot fast burn. You'll never need a blower.

You will need lots of clearance. Likely the bottom 6 feet could get red hot like John Allin says. It will make a great show with the door open, the stack red and the lights out.