PDA

View Full Version : North facing vs. South facing woods

Etown Maple Syrup
02-16-2011, 07:50 AM
The woods/sugarbush I am tapping this year is new. It is 7 acres running mainly East-West. I am finding that the Red Maples on the south side of the woods are more in the sun and are running. The trees tapped on the north side are not. Can I pull the taps from the north side and move them to more tappable trees on the south side to take advantage of the running sap? Due to limited money this year, I still have 150 or so trees that I did not tap. Maybe 50 on the southern side. After the south side slows down, can I move the taps back to the north side for that run, using the same tap holes? Thanks for your thoughts.

TF Maple
02-16-2011, 10:02 AM
After the south side slows down, can I move the taps back to the north side for that run, using the same tap holes? Thanks for your thoughts.

The holes will have bacteria growing and might be pretty well sealed up by the time you get back to them, so it might not work out very well. Also the south side trees will still be running when the north side trees start flowing, so you will lose sap.