PDA

View Full Version : Gas Finisher Question

briansickler
02-16-2011, 06:46 AM
I have a 2 x 4 English tin flat pan with one divider. It's very clean and nice shape. I'm thinking of making a finisher out of it. Where can you get a 2 x 4 propane burner for this purpose?

Brian

crackher
02-17-2011, 01:52 PM
I have a 2 x 4 English tin flat pan with one divider. It's very clean and nice shape. I'm thinking of making a finisher out of it. Where can you get a 2 x 4 propane burner for this purpose?

Brian

I would just make one. I would also water jacket the rig as well, kind of like a double boiler.
i have been tinkering with the idea for some time now. two/three turkey fryer burners and a larger pan to hold/float the tin pan inside. and boil the water until the syrup is the right temp

mapleack
02-17-2011, 02:14 PM
You can get a double turkey fryer style burner for 50 bucks.

Haynes Forest Products
02-17-2011, 04:33 PM
I made my own out of the burner kits from the beer stores. BUT one of the double camp stoves on legs will work as well. I would do some sheet metal work to keep the heat under the pan. Even small amounts of wind will blow the heat away and cool the pan sides. Never let the syrup get down past 2-3" its harry to see the days work go up in flames. You need to have sides that direct the heat from the burners up and past the sides of the pans to keep things hot. Dont get the flames on the sides but the hot gasses. If the spent propane flue gases build up under the pan the gas doesnt burn as hot as it should and it will be wasted.