PDA

View Full Version : How to Insulate Door?

briansickler
02-16-2011, 06:41 AM
I have a piece of ceramic blanket left big enough to cover the inside of my door on the evaporator. How would you go about fastening it to the door? Would high temp silicone hold it on? Any ideas or advice welcome. Thanks.

Brian

jasonl6
02-16-2011, 07:34 AM
I think the silicon would work. Thats what i am planning to do with mine.

Jason

woodburner
02-16-2011, 07:36 AM
I covered it with a heavy stainless mesh bolted it with stainless bolts, use high temp antisease. You do need threaded inserts welded to inside of door.

PeddlerLakeSapper
02-16-2011, 08:58 AM
Here is what we did. Removed the double door and added a single with a 2" flange on the inside filled with refractory cement.

michiganfarmer2
02-16-2011, 12:50 PM
Here is what we did. Removed the double door and added a single with a 2" flange on the inside filled with refractory cement.

nice.

Caster on yuor arch? fancy lol

PeddlerLakeSapper
02-16-2011, 02:05 PM
If I had a shack built I wouldn't need the casters for mobility in and out of the shop. Maybe next year.

RileySugarbush
02-16-2011, 05:09 PM
If you have a cast iron door you won't easily weld anything too it. Regardless of material, a good solution is to drill through the door and tap it. From the inside, use some stainless screws and fender washers through the blanket and the door, a little farther than you want. The clip them off on the outside, distorting the threads. Back them off so the arranged threads jam in the door. Grind excess off. Paint the door and you will hardly see them. All this in addition to some high temp silicone has lasted years for me. I used # 10 screws.