PDA

View Full Version : New (to me) Airablo "Lynx" 160 RO Machine

Bucket Head
02-15-2011, 10:16 PM
I've realized for a while now that there was no way I could have tapped another tree without making some sort of change in processing equipment. I've allways liked the idea of someday going up to a 30"x8' or 10', but that would not equal the reduced processing time that an RO machine would offer. So I decided back in the fall that I would build a small RO. I spent a lot of time here reading and rereading the homemade RO posts. I made up a list of parts. I went to the local plumbing supply's. I searched the web. I spoke to Joe at Atlantic RO. I was ready to start ordering parts. I had the parts list, my cell phone and a credit card sitting right next to me. I was going to pick up the phone, and it rang. It was another local sugarmaker calling to tell me about a small, used RO that he thought I should take a look at. After a lot of mental debate, I went to look at it. And after a lot more mental debate, I decided that the asking price was not much more than the price of the homemade model (with all new parts) that would not have processed the same gph. as the Airablo machine. So I went completely against my "homemade" heritage and bought the 160. Its an older machine, early '90's as near as I can tell. But its age makes no difference to me at this point. I'm very happy knowing that I will be able to save on wood usage, cut down on boiling time, and in the future, expand with more taps.

Many of you have stressed the advantages of your RO's over the years and I'm excited to experience those advantages for myself! I'm going to have some questions about this new technology, so you guy's get ready for a lot of questions,lol!

And a few of you guys that know I am an "outside" guy- no sugarhouse, are probably wondering "where is he putting it?" Its in the other heated, non-freezing RO room- my basement! Earlier tonight I finished putting a PVC "sleeve" through the wall near it for the in/out lines. Where there's a will there's a way!

I want to wish all the "new to RO technology" guys good luck with them. I know a bunch of you guys took that big step also this year. Hopefully we'll all have good news to report back here with!

Steve

gmcooper
02-16-2011, 10:19 AM
Good luck with that unit! Hope you have a great season!

Bucket Head
02-16-2011, 04:48 PM
Thank you. I hope it's a good one too! This one will be different from all the others, thats for sure! I have a lot to learn with this machine.

Steve