PDA

View Full Version : masport m5 ?

treefinder
02-15-2011, 04:57 PM
i know its probably been answered on here before but i'll ask again . i have a masport m5, what size motor will i need to run it ? i bought a 6.5 hp and it will turn it but barely and burn the belt or stall the engine and the belt was like a piano wire. the 6.5 hp is out of the question what about a 11hp. the sticker on the pump tells how to set the oiler and it only goes down to a 3hp and up to a 10hp electric motor.
\
heres a couple of pics so you can see my set up

NH Maplemaker
02-15-2011, 05:32 PM
I'm not an expert on masports. But, is this pump new to you? Is this with a load or with out? If it is with out a load or has been sitting around for awhile. You may need to take it apart and clean it and make sure every thing is free and working correctly! Than make sure it has good clean vacuum oil in it. Is there a possibility it has wrong weight oil in it? Vacuum pump don't like heave weight oil in cold weather and will turn very hard. Hope this helps. Jim L.

len
02-15-2011, 10:32 PM
Here's a pdf: http://www.schlueterco.com/pdfdownload/pdf/schlueter05.pdf that lists HP, parts, RPM (1100).. I'll guess that the pully arrangement there is a reduction for a 1750 rpm electric motor down to 1100 for the pump. I'm guessing that that IC engine rev's in the 3000 rpm range, so I'd be inclined to verify engine RPM, and adjust pulley arrangement as needed to run the pump as specified. You also might want to verify rotational direction of the pump.

maple flats
02-16-2011, 04:50 AM
You have a double pulley on the pump. I would think you should go about 1/2" or 1" smaller on the engine but use a double pulley, or 2, one with the set screws inward and the other outward. Then use Dayco belts with a cog design. These grip lots more, and the sidewalls are naked so that helps grip better too.
As far a that pump I have no knowledge on desired RPM for specific CFM and vac levels. My suggestion is just for the mechanics of making it turn. Try the AX series, such as AX39 (41" outside diameter) just an example. These are industrial belts for higher horsepower. Do not take ones that claim to interchange with. My machinist pointed me to these for best power transmission and belt life. In industrial belts they rule the roost.

treefinder
02-16-2011, 07:02 AM
i lust bought a new 11hp briggs engine , this should turn it?

maple flats
02-16-2011, 07:36 PM
It should if you have the needed traction non the belt drive. try a double pulley on the motor.

Haynes Forest Products
02-16-2011, 11:31 PM
I believe the pump pulley is way to small. I would go with 12-16" and let the gas engine run in its power curve. 2 belts min and remember the more surface that the belt touches the more power it can handle:)

farmall h
02-22-2011, 05:30 PM
Haynes, what is the purpose of running a regulator on the vacuum pump? Is it necessary? I have a Massport (Universal) that I installed a 12 Hp Briggs & Stratton. Runs the pump at half throttle. Motor came off old Gilson snowblower. Pulley is maybe 3" diameter?

BradWilson
02-23-2011, 06:48 AM
It looks like there is no pump to circulate the oil thru the reclaimer? Is that the case? Does there need to be one. Haynes, with the Masport Senior that we have can I just run a reclaimer/flood system like this one without an oil pump. I was also thinking of adding a tranny cooler or something to help keep it cool. Am I on the right track?

Haynes Forest Products
02-23-2011, 08:24 AM
Farmall The regulator lets in air lowering the vacuum. The higher vacuum is what causes the heat and the regulator regulates by allowing outside cool air into the pump cooling it. The part about the motor running the PUMP at 1/2 throttle is confussing. WILL the gas engine run the pump at the level YOU want? 3"motor pully is fine for that set up. Its the pump pully that you need to change if the pump needs more speed or power.

Brad Having a pump in a flood system isnt nesassary. I would recommend a oil resivoir to hold enough oil to have some in transition. In the reclaimer, pump, piping, tank and cooler. The more oil you have the cooler it will all stay. I wouldnt flood a system without a tank BEFORE the reclaimer to capture the oil before it hits the reclaimer. I will admit I havent seen all reclaimers so some might be able to handle alot of oil blown into them. Guys feel free to call me about it 303 8105501

Brad I used PVC right out of my pump the first time I made my set up and it got rubbery and broke a seam. Have you eun your system?

BradWilson
02-23-2011, 08:47 AM
Haynes

I've run my system for a few hours and the only problem I had was running out of oil and heating up my pump.

I've got the electric oiler that rotates at 1rpm and lifts the plungers and oils the pump. (see the pics) That's not working so well. Either it's wide open and I use all my oil in a short period and the pump heats up. Or, it doesn't let enough oil out and the pump heats up. That's why all the questions about setting the current oiler or fabbing up a new one.

So far I can easily get 15" of vac but it's in a remote location and I don't want to burn up such a good pump. I wish you were here to help Haynes.

farmall h
02-23-2011, 06:14 PM
Brad, hhmmm, where does your pump exhaust? I may be seeing something odd in your photo...is your exhaust connected to your inlet? If it is it shouldn't be. If I'm seeing things wrong tell me so. Nice pump!

Haynes Forest Products
02-23-2011, 06:29 PM
Brad Farmall has a point I cant see why the intake and exhaust is going into the same tank Are we missing something. BUT lets think about this You say it runs nice until the oil runs out. GOOD How big of a tank do you have for the oil that the pump into the bearings? Im sitting by beer in hand CALL 303 8105501

BradWilson
02-23-2011, 07:31 PM
It's deceiving from that pic but the inlet and exhaust are not connected. Just spent some time on the phone with Haynes (thanks a lot). I've now got a better idea on what to do. Thank God this week is gonna be cold. It'll give me time to build a reclaimer. Thanks again, to everyone, for all the help.

http://i915.photobucket.com/albums/ac358/BradWilson101/Sugarin/th_Vacuumpumpoiler.jpg (http://s915.photobucket.com/albums/ac358/BradWilson101/Sugarin/?action=view&current=Vacuumpumpoiler.jpg)

http://i915.photobucket.com/albums/ac358/BradWilson101/Sugarin/th_IMAG0410.jpg (http://s915.photobucket.com/albums/ac358/BradWilson101/Sugarin/?action=view&current=IMAG0410.jpg)

venus_amos
02-26-2011, 08:14 PM
If you want to know how calculate rpm on vac pump :

(rpm motor x pulley motor diameter) / pulley pump diameter

electric motor : 1725 rpm x 4 inches pulley / 8 inches pulley pump

pump rpm = 862

Usually for gasoline engine it's recommend to use twice hp than electric motor.

For a friend, on diesel engine, I have use this sample :

862 * 8 inches pulley pump / 2100 (rpm engine)

The pulley on engine is 3.25 inches. Maybe you will need to change pulley pump to get the ratio you need.

Steph.

farmall h
02-26-2011, 08:27 PM
BradWilson that pump looks just like ours...same oiler too. Just starting to plumb ours up and need to see if the oiler even works. What size electric motor is on your pump? And is it 2 phase?

BradWilson
02-27-2011, 04:04 AM
Farmall, that's an old Masport Senior pump and a 3hp 220v motor. The electric oiler like mine isn't worth a tinker's dam. Get rid of it. After talking to Haynes I'm building a reclaimer. In the mean time, I bought 2 sight glass drippers and some fittings and will plumb them up on Monday. The dairyman I talked to the other day said the electric oilers are nothing but trouble and with the drippers I could just put the end of the tubing into the 5 gallon bucket of vac oil, set it to 2 drips every 6-7 seconds and it would suck it right out and solve my problem for now. Not only that but I can use some of the fittings later on with the flood/reclaimer. I'll post more pics later. Good luck.

farmall h
02-27-2011, 07:54 AM
Brad, good to know. We were thinking of doing a manual controlled drip as well...as long as the pump gets oil.

venus_amos
02-27-2011, 08:24 AM
If you have an efficient flood/reclaimer you can install your pump like flood system. The installed fitting can control oil flow rate. You'll be quiet for oiling system. Your pump will normally make more cfm's than a new one.

KillerBee
01-23-2012, 08:09 AM
Hi folks!

I`m new to this forum, just find it during the weekend! I'm really happy to find a place to share with maple syrup enthusiastic!

I would like to have some information about how to setup a M5 pump with a gas engine.

I bought the exact same vaccum pump as treefinder (Masport M5) with a 5hp electric motor.

Because I don`t have electricity at my sugar shack, I will have to convert it to gas.

At first, I taught of putting a 5.5 hp gas engine on it, but I heard that I will need about twice the HP on a gas engine to compare with a electric motor.

And then, I saw that you post on the board that you were planning to use a 11 hp on this pump. But I also saw that you put it for sale afterwards... :)

So, did you get it to work?

Is 11 hp big enough?

Do you think a 9hp would run it?

How was the gas consumption?

Did you had to run full throttle, half throttle?

Anyway, any info or advice that you have for me on installing a gas engine on this pump would be really appreciated!

Thanks,

Ken