PDA

View Full Version : I just had to tap ONE tree!

GramaCindy
02-15-2011, 03:01 PM
Okay, I confess. I could not pass up this 40+* weather. My first year and I had to tap one to see how it would go. So far nothing. Way to early to get started up here in Bayfield County, but I'm glad I tried one. The drill needs charging and honestly, the first tree I tapped turned out to be an oak:o

buck3m
02-15-2011, 03:39 PM
I'll bet most of us have tapped an oak or some other inappropriate species when we weren't paying attention.

Have a great season!

Ausable
02-15-2011, 03:54 PM
If the truth be known------- I make myself look up before I drill a new tree - cause chances are it is a Hemlock ----- Hmmmmmm Hemlock Syrup --- sounds almost fatal---- lol----- Mike

BryanEx
02-15-2011, 04:40 PM
I tap a telephone pole every year. Mind ya... it's on purpose. :D

C.Wilcox
02-15-2011, 07:44 PM
The urge to drill holes as soon as that warm wind starts to blow is a terrible thing isn't it? Hold fast GramaCindy... ;)

Jim Schumacher
02-15-2011, 08:54 PM
The urge to drill holes as soon as that warm wind starts to blow is a terrible thing isn't it? Hold fast GramaCindy... ;)

I got the fever pretty bad the last couple of days too. I knew it was far too early to tap my trees so I headed up to Jacksonport WI where I knew of a semi abandoned tubing system. I could tell by the snowed in driveway that the guy must not be around. It looked like the trees weren't even tapped last year. To get my fix Angela and I went ahead and tapped all of the trees. There turned out to be around 1100 of them. I couldn't find a 5/16" bit anywhere in my truck so I just used a 1/2", as it was the closest I could find. If this guy shows up this season he will just have to run a bead of silicone around each tap before starting up the vac pump. We left a note on the nice red painted sugar house that said "your welcome". I feel a lot better now.

Jim

Maple Hugger
02-15-2011, 10:34 PM
Hey Jim,
You make it sound like we tapped that sucker's entire land. Remember 500 of those taps were in just one tree.

Southtowns27
02-15-2011, 10:44 PM
Don't feel bad, I've been at this for 12 years and tapped an ash tree last year lol.