PDA

View Full Version : Building fire box for evaporator pan any suggestions?

elm creek guy
02-15-2011, 12:29 PM
I got a 67"x25"x4" tall pan from a old sapper. I built the fire box out of 3/16" steel. Just wondering if any one has any suggestions on finishing it ie height, chimney length etc. The demensions are 67.5"lx25.5w"x24" tall. I am goin to put it on wheels also. The pan has a hole in the middle of the bottom of one end for a drain, would you put this in the front of the woodstove or the rear? The door im goin to put in has vents in the door and I will put a damper in the chimney. Thanx for any suggestions!

JuniperHillSugar
02-15-2011, 12:53 PM
Check out the typical features on the professional evaporators. Just for some ideas. Make sure that its level when you boil. Give the fire plenty of air, but too much can really cool the pan. If you give it a little thought your pan should be able to really make some syrup.

If your pan doesn't have dividers, then you'll be doing batches. I'd expect that you'll have to let the fire go out and then drain the heavy syrup when its cooler. Don't drain it when the fire is hot.

If you're outside, the stack might need to be 8-12 feet tall, I've run with much less. As for height of pan, too low is no good for your back, too high then the kids can't see what's happening in the pan. Visit a local backyarder if you can. Good Luck.