PDA

View Full Version : What are the requirements to legally sell Maple Syrup?

Choubacca
02-15-2011, 12:15 PM
http://mapletrader.com/community/showthread.php?t=6778&highlight=approval

I found this thread above but it seems to be a few years old so I was wondering if someone would be kind enough to tell me what I need to do to be able to sell Maple Syrup legally.

Do I need FDA approval? How much does it cost? Do I need someone to inspect my facility? What other approvals do I need? Where do I go?

I only have 25 taps now but will want to expand to beyond 50 or more in the future. As a backyarder what does that mean?

Thanks so much for all the help guys! :)

ADKMAPLE
02-15-2011, 12:19 PM
I dont think you need anything other than making sure that you grade the syrup and sell it at that grade.

Choubacca
02-15-2011, 12:32 PM
What is the proper way to grade it properly? If I make sure it boils for a minute at 219.5 or 219 degrees F does that mean I can call it grade A light amber?

adk1
02-15-2011, 12:35 PM
ok, first of all, research this site. second, go and buy yourself teh North American Maple Producers Manual, second edition. It is the bible of Maple and maple products. Amazon.com has it as do alot of other links that you will find on this site.

Choubacca
02-15-2011, 12:48 PM
Adk1, what search tags would you use or what threads do you think would help the most? Could you link them? this site has ALOT of stuff and frankly when I type in FDA approval I get a lot of unrelated threads. I will check out that manual.

PapaSmiff
02-15-2011, 01:04 PM
Choubacca,
Each state has slightly different rules. Here's a link to the First Edition of the NAMSP Guide.

http://web.archive.org/web/20060701150215/ohioline.osu.edu/b856/index.html

it doesn't always work, if the server is busy. But it was very, very, helpful. The UVM site and Ohio State sites also have info on Maple Syrup as a business.

BryanEx
02-15-2011, 04:30 PM
All of the New York maple regulations, Federal Maple grade standards, and US registration information I've been able to find so far is listed here;
http://www.sugarbush.info/links/maple-regulations/

- Bryan

Thompson's Tree Farm
02-15-2011, 07:02 PM
In NY you must label your syrup with your name and address. You must give the quantity of the container it is sold in, i.e. gallon, quart,3.4 oz etc. It must be labeled USDA grade A or grade B for cooking. Grade B must be in 1 gallon or larger containers. If you give it a color label (light, medium or Dark amber) the color grade must be correct. I think that is the most of them off the top of my head.

3rdgen.maple
02-15-2011, 09:32 PM
Thompson's got it right, but I believe it is only grade c that needs to be in 1 gallon or larger. It is a must have to use a hydrometer to check density and a grade set to check color and your taste buds to detect the off flavor for grade c. Oh I also believe this is for selling out of your residence only if you market it at a store or someplace else you will then need to get inspected and certified.

Choubacca
02-16-2011, 10:37 PM
Thanks a lot guys. So it sounds as though (even though I have to still read it the manual and double check everything) that I just have to label the grade correctly to be able to sell it. I don't have to get inspected by someone or anything. The new york guidelines I think didn't mention it. Nor do I have to pay a fee to be registered or anything. Thats cool!

Choubacca
02-16-2011, 10:46 PM
Thompson's got it right, but I believe it is only grade c that needs to be in 1 gallon or larger. It is a must have to use a hydrometer to check density and a grade set to check color and your taste buds to detect the off flavor for grade c. Oh I also believe this is for selling out of your residence only if you market it at a store or someplace else you will then need to get inspected and certified.

Good info thanks. So I need the grade set, and a hydrometer. I only plan to sell out of my residence as of right now, but when I expand maybe ill do a store, in which case Ill have to get inspected.

Where can I get a hydrometer and a grade set?

3rdgen.maple
02-17-2011, 12:19 AM
There are many dealers out there but I like http://bascommaple.com/ Nice people on the phone and If I order today it will be at my door tomarrow shipping ground.