PDA

View Full Version : Lifespan of an Aluminum Turkey Fryer Pot

PapaSmiff
02-15-2011, 08:50 AM
This is my third year using my Turkey Fryer for evaporating. The aluminum pot has never burned. But I've heard that they do no last very long? Is this thing going to spring a leak on me some day?

It did not get much use last season - bad year for sap. But I'm hoping it will be running daily this year. Next year I'll build a "real" wood-fired evaporator, but I hope to keep using the Turkey Fryer for finishing.

How long can I expect it to last before it falls apart? Anyone ever have one spring a leak? I know I should get a stainless steel pot - maybe two. But they are very expensive for my very part-time hobby (at this point).

jasonl6
02-15-2011, 09:09 AM
We use to use one where i use to work for heating wax. We would dip the ends of wet wood to keep them from cracking. Anyways after a year it gave out (bottom burned through). We bought a new pot and made a steal plate to sit under the pot so that the fire was not directly on the pot itself. 3+ years and it was still going stong. Everyday use.

Jason

PapaSmiff
02-15-2011, 09:17 AM
So mine could die any day now! I guess I'll have to switch to SS Steam Table Pans sooner than expected.

morningstarfarm
02-15-2011, 01:33 PM
papa..we have a used resturaunt supply house up here...those pans run around 18 bucks each...many of us use them for finishing

BryanEx
02-15-2011, 04:24 PM
PapaSmiff... I have one that has lasted 4 seasons so far sitting directly over a 65,000 btu burner with no signs of giving up yet. On the other hand, I had one last year that lasted two boils (but that was own fault). :rolleyes:

Brent
02-15-2011, 04:51 PM
we HAD one

melted it down first year mid season

go stainless once and you're fixed.

Ausable
02-15-2011, 05:44 PM
This is my third year using my Turkey Fryer for evaporating. The aluminum pot has never burned. But I've heard that they do no last very long? Is this thing going to spring a leak on me some day?

It did not get much use last season - bad year for sap. But I'm hoping it will be running daily this year. Next year I'll build a "real" wood-fired evaporator, but I hope to keep using the Turkey Fryer for finishing.

How long can I expect it to last before it falls apart? Anyone ever have one spring a leak? I know I should get a stainless steel pot - maybe two. But they are very expensive for my very part-time hobby (at this point).

PapaSmiff - You had to go and bring up that old memory. My favorite aluminum pot was ruined by my stupidity and not heat.... A few years back, at the end of the season, I was cleaning everything up - however I noticed a felt filter was missing. Oh well - no big deal. The following Spring - when I was getting ready to roll - I reached up for my favorite aluminum pot - I found the missing felt filter - I had tossed the dirty filter into the pot with the intention of cleaning both and put them away dirty. The maple syrup and nitre in the filter reacted with the aluminum and ate a large hole in the bottom of the pot. -- So I Only have a couple of aluminum pots left and these I keep clean after using........ Hey - I have picked up several stainless pots cheap on sale or close out -- never no where you will run into them. - Also let Your friends and relatives be on the lookout for you for stainless pots on sale -- the more looking the better........ Mike