PDA

View Full Version : What to look for in a new Evaporator?

Rossell's Sugar Camp
02-14-2011, 08:29 PM
This year i am boiling in steel and want to stop using it as quickly as possible. Should i look into new or used evaporators? I have 150 taps this year. I want to have an evaporator that can handle 400 or 500 taps because of future expansion. I am cheap so nothing too fancy. What do you suggest? How big and how many gph? Give me figures.

Thanks. Jobie

WESTVIRGINIAMAPLER
02-14-2011, 08:53 PM
I would go with least 2.5 x 8 or a 3 x 8 and it should take care of future expansions. I have a 2x8 with 625 gravity taps but it requires a lot of boiling.

Dill
02-14-2011, 09:08 PM
Since you have access to coal I assume, does anyone around you boil with it?
Would it be cheaper/better than wood? I don't think I know a single person who still uses it up here even for home heating.

3rdgen.maple
02-14-2011, 09:14 PM
What ever you decide just make sure you have a flue pan on it, atleat a 4 foot long one. Some 2x6 come with a 3 footer and I dont understand it at all. An extra foot on the flue will give you alot better gph. I like new myself but with the price they are asking now it is rediculous. The evap I bought brad new is about 2 grand more now than when I bought it a short few years ago. Like Brandon says a 2.5 or 3x8 is a good fit if you are short on time or want to go over the 500 mark. I made the mistake of getting a 2x6 and wish I went 3X8 and now the price is extreme. But if I I had stayed around 500 taps I wouldnt want any bigger than the 2x6. I dont like firing u an evaporator for a few hours and then have to quit. Good Luck.

JuniperHillSugar
02-15-2011, 09:43 AM
Jobie:

For this year, you may be stuck, but I'd try anyway. If you are looking at new, you should compare the big brands with the Mason units. The Mason evaporators have a good reputation here, I'm an owner myself.

If you are looking for used, keep your eyes and ears open. Many old timers have given up the hobby with lots of useable equipment out there. I just spotted an old sugarhouse the other day while I was snowmobiling. I never knew it was there either. I'll bet that some of those units could be bought real cheap, even though they might not be in perfect shape.

I'm not a RO user, but you may look into that option. You could have a smaller evaporator and still run your total tap counts. I don't know much about RO but I think it can be pricey.

Good Luck.

Sugarmaker
02-15-2011, 08:17 PM
Good used 3 x 8 will make a good rig for you to boil quickly on now and expand into in the future!
Chris

adk1
02-16-2011, 05:25 AM
there is one on one of these threads for sale for $3500, it looked nice

michiganfarmer2
02-16-2011, 12:53 PM
my 3x12 wood fired, drop flue with no steam away or pre heater will evaporate 85 gallons per hour

Brent
02-16-2011, 05:18 PM
Aside from size, 2 x 6 or 3 x 8 etc. the performance of an evaporator is almost exactly proportional to the surface area exposed to the heat. Different buiilders have different depths of flues and different numbers of flues. It also follows that the more the surface area, the more stainless and the more bending and welding you are going to pay for.

Rossell's Sugar Camp
02-21-2011, 07:33 PM
How do i reverse the flow on old evaporators if i were to go used? I was looking into the revolution leader evaporator the other day. They would be nice because switching pans is not required or anything. And yes. In a place called coal center coal is cheap. Haha