PDA

View Full Version : brick temp. rating question

tophe69er
02-14-2011, 03:44 PM
Hello All, I'm finally ready to brick my new W.F. Mason 2x6 drop tube with blower. I can not wait to start making syrup with it, but first things first it needs bricks. I bought all the bricks today from the only hardware store around that had them and they are only rated for 2300-2500 degrees. I know Leader's and Bascom's are 3000 degree bricks.. Are these bricks going to be OK? I have the stone mason hired and booked for two days from now. Any other thoughts and advice is welcome, as I'm new and this is my first year.

Chris

3rdgen.maple
02-14-2011, 03:50 PM
You will be fine just do not forget the insulation between the bricks and arch. It is one of those must have deals.

briansickler
02-14-2011, 04:45 PM
I personally went with the higher temp brick. I checked the ones out at three local building supply/hardware places. There was a big difference in the hardness between the higher and lower. The 3000 degree brick seemed much more durable. Plus one place couldn't even tell me a rating on the brick they had. So I paid a dollar more per brick from my leader dealer. Maybe it's worth it and maybe it's not. But it's done and I'm ready to boil sap.:)

Brian

captnsteve
02-14-2011, 06:39 PM
you need to have insulation between the metal of the arch and the bricks? i just ordered a new 3x2 mason and didnt know about the insulation. anyone have an idea what the companies name that makes it be .

steve J
02-14-2011, 06:57 PM
it is call arch board and you can buy it from Bascom's

captnsteve
02-14-2011, 07:14 PM
thanks i will have to find some dont believe it comes with the evaporator.could get him to put some in though thanks again

3rdgen.maple
02-14-2011, 10:12 PM
Yes sir archboard is the way I went love the stuff, cheap, good rating, easy to cut and install. You have to remember that brick is not an insulator it is a protection layer so you dont burn out the sides of the arch or dent the heck out of it throwing in wood, the archboard is a layer of insulation that helps keep the heat in the arch and not out the sides. Bricks will get cherry red in a few hours and will not keep the sides of the arch from the extreme heat and will discolor them and eventually over the years burn them out as well. Its a cheap investment that is well worth the money.

maple flats
02-15-2011, 04:18 AM
I bought 3000 degree rated brick from ther local cement works for $1.20 each (2006? prices) That was the only rating they carried at the time. I don't remember what Leader wantedbut it was higher. However, refractory cement was cheaper thru Leader.

tophe69er
02-15-2011, 05:54 AM
Thanks for all the info. I'm kicking myself hard for not picking up the arch board or blanket for insulation. I'm going to do some quick hunting today for 3,000 degree brick, maybe I'll get luck and find some arch board or blanket too.

MapleMounder
02-15-2011, 08:04 AM
When I got my 2' x 4' WF Mason I asked Bill about arch board and here is the reply I got "you can use arch board , but it's not necessary, it pushes the brick out and covers part of the pan that should have flame on it" so I opted not to put any in. Maplemounder