PDA

View Full Version : Central Ohio: Tapping

Toblerone
02-14-2011, 11:37 AM
Put in 99 taps on Saturday. Sap didn't run as well as I thought yesterday with temps up to 48. We got only 50 gallons, but I think things are still thawing after that long cold spell. Taps were running strong today so we may end up with another 50 today. With temps in the 20s tonight hopefully we'll double that tomorrow, then it's warm weather until Saturday!

Mackdaddy
02-14-2011, 11:32 PM
Dave nice to see you stepping it up this year, 100 taps, wow, that is great. You will be giving that ole Phanuef operation a workout this year. We bumped ours a bit as well and I agree, the trees are still pretty cold, it will take several days to thaw out. I havent forgotten about your glass, I will try to get it to you within the next week or so.

emo
02-15-2011, 07:59 AM
Hopefully it's the trees are still thawing. I set out 8 tapes just before the last thaw and got enough to cover the bottom of the buckets. Set out 5 more taps last Saturday, but I have not had any sap run since the latest warm up. Limited tree availability and cost keep my tap count down.

Toblerone
02-15-2011, 10:39 AM
Joshua: yeah I've got that bush pretty well tapped out. I probably could have squeezed 4 or 5 more taps, but I ran out of holders. I should make a few more and get them in. As for the bottles, no hurry at all. I will be out at the corner every Saturday through the season and at odd times in the middle of the week. PM me the total and I can leave a check with Sr. Diane if you like.

Collected sap today only got another 40 gal or so. Some trees are running like crazy and some are not doing a thing.

Good luck emo, hopefully these next 3 days above 50F will get everything running... just as long as temperatures go back down next week!

maple marc
02-15-2011, 09:53 PM
Placed the last of my 93 taps today. Really disappointing run so far. Forecast was for a warm afternoon which never arrived. My yard trees are showing two gallons per tap, but the trees in the woods are still asleep. I hope they run tomorrow with a 49 degree forecast high. I'm hoping to give my 2x4 a real workout this year.

emo
02-16-2011, 07:09 AM
Most of my trees were finally showing signs of life yesterday when I got home from work. Looks like weather for next week will get better sap runs after everything thaws out this week.

Toblerone
02-16-2011, 09:31 PM
Well, the trees are definitely awake now! I dumped this morning and most were full and some were overflowing. Brought in 100gal, and I left 30gal or so in some of the bigger containers in the bush. And the taps were dripping about a drop per second so my bags/buckets are probably full once again, but I won't know until tomorrow.

jdill
02-18-2011, 08:24 AM
6700 taps on tubing all drilled. Squirrel got us good this year but we are getting the vacuum up. Sap really slowed down last couple of days. Boiled yesterday. Made about 90 gal of good med amber. Old timers always told me the sap won't run right til the ice is off the ponds. Everyone be careful out there.

musket ridge farms
02-27-2011, 03:53 PM
Finally flowing like it should. Avg 3 gal a tap since last afternoon. Would be nice to keep it up for a couple weeks like that. Sleep is over rated.

Toblerone
03-11-2011, 05:58 PM
The silvers here in town have broken bud. Could the sugars be far behind?