PDA

View Full Version : Small Brothers

crackher
02-14-2011, 10:41 AM
Hey this may be a weird question, but I am normally pretty good at finding information on the net..but not this time

What happened to Small Brothers? I cannot seem to find any info on this company?

ELM_DALE_MAPLE
02-14-2011, 10:47 AM
I'll leave the very specifics to the experts but they and their namesake have been sold several times and when they were their own company there was no internet. You will hear names like Waterloo-Small etc. I think now that Lapierre has Small Bros. under their umbrella. I would be interested to hear of the history again of Small Bros from an expert...

sugarmaker43
02-14-2011, 11:09 AM
I know that Small Bros was bought out By Algier evaporator which was only around for a few years. If I'm not mistaken Lapierre is located in the same building in Swanton. Vt where Small Bros was located. I don't believe that they bought out the company or carried on any of their line of products.

ennismaple
02-14-2011, 12:07 PM
Small Brothers is definitely part of the Lapierre brand now - hence the name Lapierre Waterloo Small.

Flat47
02-14-2011, 05:11 PM
Small Brothers and Waterloo merged in October 1995 to form Waterloo-Small. I think it was mostly Waterloo acquired SB. In 2002, "Maple Pro" began appearing in the Waterloo-Small logo. By 2008 they were just Maple Pro. I don't have any indications that Algier was ever in the mix. Maybe someone else can set that straight. The Lapierre-Wareloo-Small logo is fairly recent (2005??), and is a Canadian registered company. I believe the US affliate is Maple Pro. Lots of companies have different names for each side of the border.

Haynes Forest Products
02-14-2011, 07:48 PM
My pans from Lapierre WaterLoo Small and they came from Maple Pro in 2003 then things hit the fan and Maple pro sells or owns CDL. I now have a Lapierre waterloo small flue matched up to 2 CDL finish pans:rolleyes:

CBOYER
02-14-2011, 10:49 PM
:evil:Here is what i found on different Quebec french sites:

first, Waterloo buy small bros,

Lapierre buy waterloo small in 2001, including facilities in Swanton,

in 2005 CDL buy waterloo small maplepro USA in st Albans, change name for CDL USA.

At same time, Lapierre change name of there USA operations for Lapierre Usa.
The factory in Waterloo Qc. is under Lapierre control.

Look like someone try to mix us???

Russell Lampron
02-15-2011, 05:39 AM
Rodney Algier was one of the Partners in The Small Brothers company. When Small Brothers was bought out by Waterloo in 1995 Rodney started the Algier Sheet Metal company. Rodney wasn't allowed to sell maple equipment for 5 years as part of the deal of the buy out. About 5 years later Algier went out of business being forced out by Lapierre, Waterloo, Small. Rodney's son owns the Thor evaporator company.

ELM_DALE_MAPLE
02-15-2011, 05:43 AM
Does Thor Evaporator have a website?? I couldn't find much on them.

whalems
02-15-2011, 07:02 AM
here ya go http://www.thorinc.ca/

syrupkid
02-15-2011, 07:56 PM
My uncle has ordered a Thor evaporator and it should be here in a week or two. They build nice equipment at a good price if anyone is looking at some of their equipment.

mbgardner
12-14-2018, 09:05 AM

I have one of these "Steam Away" units on my otherwise welded stainless steel evaporator. I have a slightly elevated Pb sample analytical report indicating 34 ppb. I wondering if anyone could tell me whether or not or what the likelihood is that this Unit was put together with leaded solder? Contemplating the future and repair/replacement of the steam away

Thanks

DrTimPerkins
12-14-2018, 09:41 AM
Welcome to MapleTrader.

1. The simplest way to know whether or not the unit is lead-soldered would be to get a lead-check (swab) kit at your local hardware store and test the solder in the pans. Instructions come in the package and the test is fairly reliable. Something similar to this … https://www.amazon.com/3M-717834209102DUPE-LeadCheck-Swabs-8-Pack/dp/B008BK15PU?th=1

2. If the unit was made prior to 1994, it is most likely lead-soldered (except for Leader Evaporator, which started switching in 1991).

3. Is it possible the lead is coming from other parts of your system: buckets, storage tanks?

4. Just a little list "etiquette." Since your question has little or nothing to do with the original thread (other than it being a Small Brothers unit), it would be better to start a new thread with your question than post to an old thread.