PDA

View Full Version : It is official we are tapping in Maine!!

baconfarm
02-14-2011, 09:23 AM
It is official we started tapping yesterday. Tapped one of our smaller groves but got it done and fixed issues along the way. 120 down 2,380 to go. Lets hope the warm weather this week will drop the snow levels in the woods and we don't have to tap with snowshoes. Hopefully by the end of febraury vacation we will be done and then can get the rest of the sugarhouse put together and ready to start. Don't want to be caught like last year.
HAPPY SAPPIN'
Bacon Farm Maple Products

sapsick
02-14-2011, 11:14 AM
not yet for me. on call this weekend for work then free and clear til april. hopefully cut in drops on new line on presidents day and poke holes the folloowing weekend. still lots to do.

Revi
02-14-2011, 07:05 PM
We're getting the sugarhouse ready this weekend, and tapping a few bucket trees. I think we'll hold off on the tubing until the next weekend, when and if it warms up again.

JuniperHillSugar
02-17-2011, 10:57 AM
The ice is melting on the driveway. It's 100 degrees in the greenhouse. I'll bet the trees are running today. No taps yet. Maybe a few this weekend. Have patience young Jedi.

kitti
02-17-2011, 07:41 PM
Mabey you can answer my question if you have the time. Here goes. I have about 30 + or - trees that I tap for my self. Question is: If I drill my holes and install the taps now before the sap starts running Is that okay? If it dosen't start will I have to redrill? I am getting anxious and want to be ready for the very moment the sap starts running!!! Thanks for any help anyone can give me.

birdmancf
02-17-2011, 10:01 PM
Yes Kitti,
You can tap early, in fact many larger producers have to, to be ready for the first runs. I've seen them in up here in the Dover area for at least a week already, but I'm smaller and plan to hold out for another week.
The problem with going early is that your season can end earlier. You are working against bacteria formation at the tap hole and the tree trying to go through the healing process. If you run pipeline it slows the process of bacteria getting to the taphole, if you run buckets it can set up earlier.
If you're on a predominantly south facing area your trees may run a couple weeks earlier than someone set up on a North slope. Get to know the sugarbush you are working with, look at the snowpack, feel the density of the snow, know how the sun and wind affect the area. This is one of the biggest guessing games of the whole process so don't be afraid of making mistakes, either early or late. Be a good student of what you do experience and learn from it. Above all else, have fun with it, anticipate it but don't let it stress you out.:D
Chris

abbott
02-18-2011, 07:52 AM
Early is better than late. That said, it looks like it will turn cold again for at least another week, so I'll be waiting until the next warmup. With only 30 trees, you shouldn't need to tap early...just get everything ready. If you're impatient, put a tap or two or three in and see what happens. It'll be a good learning experience for future years. You should avoid redrilling. No sense injuring the same tree twice as often in the same year.

kitti
02-18-2011, 10:47 AM
Thanks, And good luck every one!!

sugardaddy's
02-18-2011, 01:09 PM
Well it was almost 50 degrees this morning, So I went out today with the youngest of the sap haulers, Two goats, and the wife that let's me get away with all this and put in 50 taps. About an hour later collected about 2 1/2 gallons of sap for fun. I'll get another 50 +/- taps out this weekend when more sap haulers are around to help.

kitti
02-18-2011, 01:45 PM
I tapped 4 today. I'm getting sap from 3 of them. I'll put the rest out tomorrow and the fun begins!!!

baconfarm
02-19-2011, 07:34 AM
Mabey you can answer my question if you have the time. Here goes. I have about 30 + or - trees that I tap for my self. Question is: If I drill my holes and install the taps now before the sap starts running Is that okay? If it dosen't start will I have to redrill? I am getting anxious and want to be ready for the very moment the sap starts running!!! Thanks for any help anyone can give me.

You can tap early, the trees are still frozen. Bacteria starts to close up the holes once the sap starts to run, but by putting in a new spile or a very clean spile or new adaptor piece that comes in contact with the tree you can extend your season a little. For more information you can contact us anytime or if you live within driving distance from Bacon Farm Maple Products youare more then welcome to stop by.

sapsick
03-05-2011, 04:12 PM
" I'm in cant you feel it?"...... "its gettin closer".....

Wait a minute this isnt the Charlie Sheen fan club website:lol:

seriuosly tho i got 108 in up in Lexington TWP and another 22 in Norridgewock here on the river. The river trees were leaking by this afternoon. another 100+ for newburgh tomorrow.

Cider Hill Maple Farm
03-05-2011, 05:54 PM
How fun was it today trying to get the taps in? Had 40 old growth rocks to tap today, by late afternoon I couldn't feel my fingers.Trying to keep the drill dry was a challenge but we managed. I didn't feel my son had to tough it out so we went to get lunch, then I headed back out. By 2:00 pm I wish the sap was running into the buckets as quick as the rain was going through my jacket! Still managed to get 39 taps out of 120 in a short amount of time. Total taps in trees so far 47 (to go 113 +/-). Guess the next week will bring flashlight tapping after work!

Best of luck to all!!!!

Shawn