PDA

View Full Version : teflon tape

woodsmith
02-13-2011, 08:29 PM
is Teflon tape on pipe threads used in syrup production considered "food safe"?

whalems
02-13-2011, 08:31 PM
I hope so. I used it on all my threaded connections:)

cpmaple
02-13-2011, 08:47 PM
I've seen it in commercial busniess on drinking water and I have it on all my fittings also as long as it dont pipe dope i would say yes.

Haynes Forest Products
02-13-2011, 09:03 PM
Six times around works for me. I use it on all the PVC fittings mainly because as you tighten them they start to squeek and shudder and that means YOU AINT GETTING ME APPART:mad: Teflon does to things it seals and lubricates and that can mean over tightning. The sealing part can lead to under tightning so live and learn.

40to1
02-13-2011, 09:43 PM
Wow! Talk about timely.....
This afternoon I was screwing in all the threaded connections in for my evaporator's test boil and wondering if I ought to use teflon tape.
Thanks for asking this question. I'll be re-screwing things tomorrow with teflon.

Haynes Forest Products
02-14-2011, 12:26 AM
40-1 please no screwing around the Evaporator its Threading ;)

stoweski
02-14-2011, 05:47 AM

But it's valentines day!!!:D

wnybassman
02-14-2011, 05:59 AM
A lot of cookware is teflon coated, soooooooo....................I would guess it is OK.

holey_bucket
02-14-2011, 06:08 AM

HA! Good call, Haynes!

Haynes Forest Products
02-14-2011, 08:13 AM
OH YEA 2 more things when applying Teflon tape put it on clockwise:rolleyes: and when the roll of tape slips out of your hand drop the fitting along with the roll of tape. I just want to smack people that watch the whole dang thing unwind to the floor and roll across the floor. Then there is the working on a ladder thing:o

ennismaple
02-14-2011, 12:13 PM
Wow! Talk about timely.....
This afternoon I was screwing in all the threaded connections in for my evaporator's test boil and wondering if I ought to use teflon tape.
Thanks for asking this question. I'll be re-screwing things tomorrow with teflon.

Make sure you're using the grey teflon tape if you fittings are stainless steel. If you use the white stuff you'll never get them apart again!

3rdgen.maple
02-14-2011, 03:52 PM
Make sure you're using the grey teflon tape if you fittings are stainless steel. If you use the white stuff you'll never get them apart again!

Or the heavy duty pink. Thats is all I use.

sapsick
02-14-2011, 04:15 PM
not that i dont use teflon tape but felt i should share this with you. my wifes uncle is a retired chemical engineer from Dupont the very folks that blessed us with this stuff and he informed me one day that Dupont has soo much faith in their product that it is banned from any of their facilities!!!

"its gotta be true they told me so"

Haynes Forest Products
02-14-2011, 07:54 PM
All I use is the white tape on all my SS and dont have an issue getting them apart. What is the differance in the composition of the differant colors White ? Yellow GAS Pink?

twitch
02-14-2011, 08:09 PM
I was told the yellow tape will stand up to gasoline and the whit will not.Thats what i was told.

3rdgen.maple
02-14-2011, 09:35 PM
All I use is the white tape on all my SS and dont have an issue getting them apart. What is the differance in the composition of the differant colors White ? Yellow GAS Pink?

Haynes white is regular, yellow is for gasoline, pink has a higher temp rating and thicker than white, grey is for stainless steel. Also they all are a a thread lubricant and sealer so I dont get the grey kind except it 400 times the price of white.