PDA

View Full Version : Tapped in Middlefield

jcr1709
02-13-2011, 05:04 PM
After seeing a nearby guy setting up his gravity system with a huge portable tank today, I decided to tap also. Did 27 taps. Some photos attached of last years fun.

My system is a little unique. I use leader aluminum 5/16" hookless treesaver spouts and my buckets are custom designed 12 quart square clear lexan foodservice containers with lids. I had to hole saw a 3/4" hole for the bucket, sand down to make smooth.

The lids are good quality but are easy to remove and snap back on, unlike bakery buckets, etc. The best part is I can see how full the buckets are from the house since they are clear. I didn't want to deal with the cost/cleaning of sap sacks....much more of a long lasting system.

My fireplace for boiling down is entirely covered with snow at the moment....hopefully will be digging out by next weekend with enough sap to make boiling worthwhile.

They Call Me Pete
02-13-2011, 06:09 PM
Tapped 4 today. First year and the two sugars started to flow right away. The red who knows but figured I'd tap it before I cut it down this year. At my mother-in-laws and dying. Figured what the hell