PDA

View Full Version : Sap Leaking...

Choubacca
02-13-2011, 03:03 PM
:emb: Why is it doing it? I hand drilled my hole and i've put the spigot in. Some sap is flowing out of the spigot, but i see a lot flowing out around it. How do I prevent this?? So much precious sap not going into the bucket!! :o

help :cry:

len
02-13-2011, 03:16 PM
Driven in too hard, which splits the tree. Others more experieced can give better advice- but the general idea is to choke up on the hammer handle, tap lightly, and stop when the sound changes, which is the point where the hammer will bounce off of the tap (spile).

Choubacca
02-13-2011, 03:47 PM
Thanks Len. Good point, I think I have been driving in too hard. I'll fix that! Thank you for you help! :)

Ausable
02-13-2011, 03:53 PM
To begin with - are you using a tapered spile? You probably are - but - one never knows. Just like len says - You probably set the spile in too hard and split the tree a little -- The tree will heal - but - always bothers me to see the sap running down the tree and not in the pail -- lol -- bothers all of us. You want to tap it in just snug enough to hold a pail full of sap without pulling out of the tree. Hey -- I always have a few that do that - so dont let it bother you. --- Mike

wnybassman
02-13-2011, 03:55 PM
I had some pretty bad leakers last year and that was my problem. I tapped when the trees were still pretty cold and drove them home. I've had wet spots that dried up after a few days over the years, but a few of these never did. The ones I put in today I just snugged in lightly, and will tap in more if needed when the tree warms.

collinsmapleman2012
02-13-2011, 06:00 PM
a mistake ive made is wobbling the bit as i tap, making an ovular hole.

Choubacca
02-13-2011, 07:07 PM
Thanks a lot for the input guys. You learn stuff everyday. Every drop of sap counts! I must learn how to maximize correct tree tapping! :lol:

wkies
02-14-2011, 08:30 AM
I have few leakers as well - I tapped when it was still below freezing. Can I just take a hammer and seat them a little more snug or will that further crack the tree?

Choubacca
02-14-2011, 02:10 PM
I guess that partially depends on how deep you drilled. I drilled and tapped 11 more trees today. Len was right. Drill in and tap until light tapping doesn't drive it in anymore. I had a couple more leakers today but by and large they were looking much better and I had some fast drips.

holey_bucket
02-15-2011, 09:37 PM
Very good thread for us newbies.

I also have the same leaking on a few of my taps. However, I am wondering if I didn't drive them in ENOUGH. I tried to only put them in as much as they would need to hold the pail. I know you can't see a lot in the pics, but what do you guys think? Some of my other trees that are not leaking have the spiles driven in deeper. Also, on these pics, I did not find any splits from the taps.

Thanks!

3rdgen.maple
02-15-2011, 09:43 PM
Holey Bucket I think I just figured out your problem, you ready,,,,,,, there isnt a bucket hanging on them to catch the sap. :D

holey_bucket
02-15-2011, 09:48 PM
Ha! Thank you! How did I miss that one? :o

It was not a clear picture with the bucket on...

3rdgen.maple
02-15-2011, 10:04 PM
Ok seriously now. How deep are your holes drilled and what type and size bit did you use?

holey_bucket
02-15-2011, 10:45 PM
5/16 bit, about 2" deep. 5/16 SS spiles from Scott Durfee, tapered. 5 gal pails. Some new wood auger bit. Forgot to buy a maple bit when I was at Sugarbush Supplies last Sat.

Southtowns27
02-15-2011, 10:50 PM
My guess is that you drove the taps in too far. What was the temperature when you tapped?
I've successfully tapped trees with the temps in the single digits, but I don't drive the taps home all the way. I drive them just far enough to hold the bucket until it thaws out then I can drive them in all the way. Even so I still get a few leakers, oh well.

They Call Me Pete
02-16-2011, 03:07 PM
I have one leaking. My daughter wanted to drill one and she sort of ovaled it. Not to shabby of a job for an 8 yr old.