PDA

View Full Version : Maybe too early?

riley04
02-13-2011, 12:53 PM
I'm in the Buffalo, Rochester, Syracuse area. Think this is a bit to early to tap? Just overly antsy since i'm trying for the 1st time! Thanks.

Sun 2/13: High 42, Low 35
Mon 2/14: High 38, Low 14
Tues 2/15: High 23, Low 20
Wed 2/16: High 40, Low 38
Thurs 2/17: High 41, Low 40
Fri 2/18: High 47, Low 33
Sat 2/19: High 35 , Low 22
Sun 2/20: High 30, Low 24
Mon 2/21: High 30, Low 27
Tues 2/22: High 29, Low 23

wnybassman
02-13-2011, 01:07 PM
I live 20 minutes south of Leroy. Around noon I started to put a few taps in but stopped. Even though it was 40ish outside, nothing was moving yet. I like the instant satisfaction of seeing the drips as I tap. Will see what happens the rest of the day and into tomorrow before I decide to put the rest in.

I spent the rest of my time out there getting the pans ready to go and the fire pit dug out of the snow bank. That's all ready to go now.

http://i152.photobucket.com/albums/s163/wnybassman/maple/2-13-2011_rig.jpg

Thompson's Tree Farm
02-13-2011, 05:20 PM
You'll get a little now but it is 2 weeks early for season. Hold your horses and don't get your knickers in a twist. If you can tap all you are going to tap in a day, wait. The bulk of your season will probably be in March and you want fresh taps when there will be peak flow.

tsoble
02-13-2011, 05:55 PM
1500 taps sat sun central square 2|13|11

sapman
02-13-2011, 09:02 PM
Central Square? You're pretty close to me! Let us know if you get much flow over the next few days.

Southtowns27
02-13-2011, 10:26 PM
I put 400+ in earlier this week, they started running this afternoon. Tuesday is supposed to be below freezing, but near 50 by Friday. Good enough for me! Last year I tapped the last week of January and caught the first run. Good thing since the rest of the season was so bad.

Ausable
02-14-2011, 03:48 AM
I'm in the Buffalo, Rochester, Syracuse area. Think this is a bit to early to tap? Just overly antsy since i'm trying for the 1st time! Thanks.

Sun 2/13: High 42, Low 35
Mon 2/14: High 38, Low 14
Tues 2/15: High 23, Low 20
Wed 2/16: High 40, Low 38
Thurs 2/17: High 41, Low 40
Fri 2/18: High 47, Low 33
Sat 2/19: High 35 , Low 22
Sun 2/20: High 30, Low 24
Mon 2/21: High 30, Low 27
Tues 2/22: High 29, Low 23

---LOL--- With Folks that don't live in Snow Belt areas -- I'd probably say start tapping -- However--- In good old Buffalo - I'd say -- When the snow melts enough to again see the main trunks of the maples -- start tapping-- That would be about mid-June -- Right? -- Have a good year -- Mike

riley04
02-14-2011, 07:35 AM
Yeah...to say the snow is bit fierce is an understatement. I either live, work, or have property near the three places I mentioned and still after all these years the weather is fun one to endure! There's a site...I think its http://goldensnowball.blogspot.com/ and it tracks snowfall. Buff seems to get all the storms, but Syracuse gets the inches! I wouldn't trade living near all this for anything. I like the winter, but I do look forward to sugaring season...knowing that really nice weather is around the corner!

3rdgen.maple
02-14-2011, 10:04 AM
Of course syracuse gets all the inches. The good old Buffallo Syracuse snow war they have on the news is quite comical to say the least. I work all over the northeast and spend alot of time in syracuse, in fact my warehouse is in syracuse. I get a good laugh when the airport reports snowfall and then the news raises the snowfall total. Hmmm I can see the airport from my warehouse and if we didnt get snow there how did they. I think someone likes to pull the wool over buffalos eyes a time or 2 when it comes to total snowfall. Been like that as long as I can remember. Now come to my house if you want to see snow neighbor says we are now over 276 inches for the year. I would of definately taped saturday if I could get around in the woods better. High yesterday was 42 and today its already 41. Losing snow fast however so I will get some in this week for sure.

wnybassman
02-14-2011, 10:16 AM
Of course syracuse gets all the inches. The good old Buffallo Syracuse snow war they have on the news is quite comical to say the least. I work all over the northeast and spend alot of time in syracuse, in fact my warehouse is in syracuse. I get a good laugh when the airport reports snowfall and then the news raises the snowfall total. Hmmm I can see the airport from my warehouse and if we didnt get snow there how did they. I think someone likes to pull the wool over buffalos eyes a time or 2 when it comes to total snowfall. Been like that as long as I can remember. Now come to my house if you want to see snow neighbor says we are now over 276 inches for the year. I would of definately taped saturday if I could get around in the woods better. High yesterday was 42 and today its already 41. Losing snow fast however so I will get some in this week for sure.

I think it is a battle more between Tug Hill and the Chautauqua Ridge. Obviously you guys win that one with a lake that stays ice free all winter. :lol:

danno
02-14-2011, 06:43 PM
Still plenty of snow in Syracuse, but the tree wells started showing themselves this afternoon. Sap was running pretty good.

Revi
02-14-2011, 07:00 PM
It's like a pig's tale.

It's twirly.

molzep
02-15-2011, 06:16 AM
What happens in you tap to early?

michiganfarmer2
02-15-2011, 07:35 AM

the holes start healing. If yuo get a few weeks of freezing temps, you might go out to collect sap after a warm day and there wont be any sap because the holes have mostly healed

Southtowns27
02-15-2011, 10:17 PM
Yep, the big problem is that the tap holes heal up, but it usually takes about 8 weeks for that to happen (in my personal experience anyway). So, if you tapped today, you'd be good through the middle of April. We're always done by then so that's why my taps are out already.

mogihillfarm
02-16-2011, 12:10 AM
I finished tapping today, got all the buckets and bags up. The temp only got into the mid twenties. My taps on the south side of the trees were dripping pretty good. I am hoping tomorrow will be good. I am planning on my first boil Thursday. Only if the trees cooperate. Many thanks to my neighbor for running his snowmobile on the trails to get the snow packed down.

maple flats
02-16-2011, 04:42 AM
I was working in my bush yesterday and after several trips on a main path I decided to take my snowshoes off, thinking it must be packed enough. About 2 steps later one foot is in up to my hip and with the top crust it took a few minutes to get up. Back on with the snowshoes. However lately with the melt down 2 days ago, I can wear my smaller bear paws rather than my largest size Michigan's. I'm thinking I'll tap this week end. It will be the earliest ever by 1 week. I rarely get hardly anything before about March 5-10.

molzep
02-16-2011, 08:27 PM
thanks - my dad always tells me the taps will heal in a week. That's pretty scary!

danno
02-17-2011, 11:21 AM
All tapped in. Slow start up until today. Low last night around Syracuse was upper 20's, and 40 by 10 am. Sap's running great right now and should run for the next 36 hours straight. Here we go!!!

TF Maple
02-17-2011, 11:38 AM
thanks - my dad always tells me the taps will heal in a week. That's pretty scary!

Around 6 weeks or so after tapping the bacteria have grown in the hole and cause it to stop flowing. That is the drying up or healing that everyone talks about. It takes a few months to a year or more to actually have the hole heal shut. It all depends on how fast the tree is growing.

gomish
02-17-2011, 11:53 AM

check this paper, it explains a lot of what goes on, from a reliable source.

http://www.uvm.edu/~pmrc/tapping.pdf

wnybassman
02-17-2011, 06:43 PM
I think I am glad I stopped at 8 taps the other day when I started to tap. So far those 8 taps have only produced about 8 gallons total sap during this warm-up the past few days.

Only problem now is to figure out what to do with those 8 gallons. Too much to cook in the house and too little to fire up the pans outside. I ain't dumping it, I'll figure something out. ;)

I see better conditions towards the end of next week. Highs in the uppers 30's and lows below freezing. I'll probably go all in by then.

99mtk35
02-17-2011, 07:49 PM
I put in 13 taps last night in Cortland and had 5 gallons of sap today.:)

3rdgen.maple
02-17-2011, 09:59 PM
I think I am glad I stopped at 8 taps the other day when I started to tap. So far those 8 taps have only produced about 8 gallons total sap during this warm-up the past few days.

Only problem now is to figure out what to do with those 8 gallons. Too much to cook in the house and too little to fire up the pans outside. I ain't dumping it, I'll figure something out. ;)

I see better conditions towards the end of next week. Highs in the uppers 30's and lows below freezing. I'll probably go all in by then.

Make your morning coffee with it. Its pretty good and wont go to waste.

wnybassman
02-18-2011, 04:50 PM
I learnt my lesson. No more jumping the gun for me! Out of the 8 taps I put in about a week ago, I only got 8-10 gallons of sap total. Just the biggest of the trees were running today, slightly. I am soooo glad I didn't put the remaining 20-25 in. Just like all my other hobbies, never stop learning. :cool:

3rdgen.maple
02-18-2011, 10:32 PM
Yeah tell me about it. Being the 3rd gneration you think I would know better myself with over 100 years of family experience I still jump the gun every year but last year and that was a mistake too. Oh well got to tweek the vac pump and releaser now just dont know what to do with 100 gallons of sap for a week. Thats alot of coffee water lol. Im afraid its going back in the ground in the morning.

wnybassman
02-19-2011, 10:22 PM
Well I have a hard time dumping sap of any quantity, and I guess I can't make coffee out of it either. :lol:

Boiled it in the house today (with plenty of ventilation) and made a couple full bottles and a partial of another (in the fridge already) of very nice light stuff!

Can't wait to tap the rest!

http://i152.photobucket.com/albums/s163/wnybassman/maple/2011_first.jpg

cvmaple
02-20-2011, 07:58 AM
That was an interesting and educational read on that link Gomish. It explained and confirmed an observation that I made last year. Now if there was only a cure for the spring fever we all get when the mercury rises above 32 that would be good too. Ah yes back to the long list of things to be done before we're actually ready for the season. Nice looking syrup wnybassman.

wnybassman
02-20-2011, 08:48 AM
Nice looking syrup wnybassman.

Thanks, it passed both the taste and pancake absorption test this morning. :cool: