PDA

View Full Version : preserving finished product?

sawyerkirk
02-13-2011, 09:32 AM
Wife and I were discussing the bottling process of syrup. Does it have to be pressure canned? how long can it be kept in the fridge before canning?

maplefarmer
02-13-2011, 11:44 AM
syrup does not need pressure canned, it does need to be heated to 185-190 deg. and bottled hot.

sawyerkirk
02-13-2011, 01:49 PM
thanks, that removes a step!

Haynes Forest Products
02-13-2011, 07:22 PM
No that removes 2 steps doing it right and not having to argue with the wife about................... thats not how we do pickels:o I hear of all sorts of ways of keeping syrup. I find that if you bottle it at the right temp and store in a cool dark basement it will last for years............YEARS.......................2-3-4-5.YEARS you dont need to store it in a freezer or liquid nitrogen to keep it. I have 20 year old bottles hanging in the shack that look fine after 20 years................YEARS. Its not that crappy wedding cake from your first marrage thats still in the freezer. Its Maple syrup next to honey I dont even refridgerate my bulk gallon that I fill the daily use bottle.....YEARS:rolleyes:

BryanEx
02-13-2011, 07:27 PM
I find that if you bottle it at the right temp and store in a cool dark basement it will last for years ............YEARS .......................2-3-4-5.YEARS .... I have 20 year old bottles hanging in the shack that look fine after 20 years................YEARS .....YEARS:rolleyes:
So you're basically saying... it will be okay for a little while then? :mrgreen: