PDA

View Full Version : No frost

gmcooper
02-13-2011, 08:32 AM
I had to plow out a couple areas yesterday with tractor that usually never get plowed. 24-36" snow on the ground and no frost left in the ground. Couldn't believe it as we were quite open until after Christmas and before snow started piling up we had 8-12" frost in the ground. I guess all that insulation on top let the gound thaw from the bottom up. Now I'm not totally sure what the sap season will be. I do think things will run quite well once we get some decent temps.
Mark

TapME
02-13-2011, 09:44 AM
That put a lot of variables in to the mix with no frost. It could make for some great runs when the snow melts and the roots pick up the water. Time will tell. Anything is better than last years 11 days for a season.

MapleME
02-13-2011, 10:55 AM
Hey Mark I missed class this past week. Anything good? Just acquired 30 more huge trees at crystal springs farm in Brunswick. Should give me another 60 taps or so!

dadsmaplesugarshack
02-13-2011, 05:22 PM
hey Mark I worked on main line today here in harrison tough going on snow shoes 3' snow I had a few wet spots where waters running under snow !!!! I will have a few questions to ask we are going to run vacuum for the first time . went to merrifieds yesterday to buy jugs ect... talk to the rep from lapeire I bought a moisture trap i bought a deleval vp 76 pump and a bernard releaser now I have to put it all together cant wait to see what she does . hope all is well at your place Joe

sapsick
02-13-2011, 05:31 PM
as of last week we still had a couple wet spots on our trails that had not froze in. i threw a pallet in the hole and shoveled some snow over it before i packed it and groomed it with the sled. hopefully the sled wont find the bottom this spring.

gmcooper
02-13-2011, 06:42 PM
I went into woods today finishing a new section mainline. Really crappy going. Light crust but old trails much harder. Still managed to get into a few soft spots with snowshoes that I went waist deep. 24-36" snow from what I still found in the woods. I think I'm going to have some high mainlines when everything melts.

Joe if you have any questions on Vacuum feel free to ask.

MapleME 30 big maples is a nice find!