PDA

View Full Version : Tapped in Stamford

wkies
02-13-2011, 07:57 AM
Yesterday we tapped the entire the property - 300+ taps are in. Not the most ideal weather (low 30's cloudy) but we are ready for what looks like a good week ahead. Can't wait!

wkies
02-14-2011, 09:23 PM
collected close to 150 gallons today - time to sweetin' that pan tomorrow

wkies
02-28-2011, 06:34 PM
Great runs. It's been running for 2.5 days. 300 taps and over 700 gallons in the last few days. Our new set of lines (120 taps) is really paying off. The one thing I've noticed is the sugar % dropped this run. Only about 1.5% - down from 3% about a week ago. We are starting to make a medium amber. We boiled for 9 hours today and will do so for the next few days to catch up. 'Tis the season.

Tanta K
03-01-2011, 05:56 AM
Great to hear it's going so well Will. I still need to get to your place for a visit. We can't go any bigger than we are as our staffing was cut again this past summer. I and the ranger do all the teaching and I boil when I can with the help of one or two volunteers. The saps been running, the kids have been having a blast and our public workshop for this Saturday is sold out so I can't complain. Take care!
Kirsten (Tanta)
Brooksvale Park Sugar Shack
30 taps - many more trees
Old fashion bucket method wiht a wood fired hobby evaporator.
Teaching about 1000 this year!
http://www.brooksvale.org

wkies
03-01-2011, 08:04 PM
Another great day. Collected 200+ gallons this afternoon. Boiled from 8am - 7pm and made about 1o gallons of medium amber. More to burn tomorrow.