PDA

View Full Version : Should I tap soon?

steve J
02-13-2011, 06:43 AM
Well after tomorrow I can start working on my maple set up. My question is giving I am on gravity and also have 50 buckets will the 17th be to early for me to taap. seem like I am seeing a few warm days forecast but I am worried my holes could be drying up by last week of March. But I remember last year I never got enough sap to boil after around March 18th or so? Any thoughts?

Greg Morin
02-13-2011, 06:48 AM
the trees cant read the calender its a judgement call how much do you trust the weatherman? if its getting 35 and up daytime its not too early.

PARKER MAPLE
02-13-2011, 06:57 AM
I tapped 175 or so yesterday, I will let you no if they ran at all today. Im not to concerned I have all new lines and drops with new spouts. Should be good for the season.. 6weeks or so is about the average for me. Lastyear the trees never really ran good a little here and a little there. So im not going by anything that happend last year to make up my mind. I checked the accuweather this am 9 out of the 14days comings are going to be good for sap so hopefully the trees thaw out a little. time will tell. Off to boil and clean the evaporator now and tap the rest today. Good luck