PDA

View Full Version : Who's making NEW aluminum buckets?

argohauler
02-12-2011, 10:33 PM
Was at Atkinson's Friday and saw them in their store. Brand shiny new, but the sign said that they were all damaged from being transported. The damage made them look like they'd been used a few years. They were the 2 US gallon size and they were charging $8.95 CDN. for them. They had some really beat up 2 US gal. alum. buckets for $4.95.

I meant to ask them about them, but forgot.

H. Walker
02-14-2011, 10:24 PM
Atkinson's are makeing them themselves or I should say they have taken the initative to find a company to start manufacturing them again, But, it is Atkinson that is behind it 100%.

chrisnjake9
02-14-2011, 10:28 PM
tractor supply has them also 19.00 something just for the bucket

Bernie/MA
02-20-2011, 04:35 PM
If aluminum buckets are ok why not aluminum pans? I've made several and they work good.

Brent
02-20-2011, 05:50 PM
like many of us have experienced with aluminum pots on turkey friers, they will melt down.

Dennis H.
02-20-2011, 06:09 PM
Why are you only looking for aluminum?

I use 2gal plastic buckets. 2 years ago I needed to find something to collect sap at the tree and since I couldn't find real sap buckets cheap I started to look at sapsak's, Well I heard good and bad about them and once you prices the holder and then the sak, ooch!!

So I found a company, Uline, that has 2 gal food grade buckets and lids. The pair cost me at the time about $3.50. Now they are a little more but still no where near the cost of a sap sak.

The biggest down side to the plastc bucket route is that there is no good way to keep the lid on in high winds. I mean you could snap them on but it would be a real pain when collecting. I keep the tear off ring on my lids and just set the lid onto the bucket.

Now the hole for hanging the bucket? All I did was use a hot piece of 1/2" copper pipe to melt a hole in the side just below where the lip of the lid would be..

cvmaple
02-21-2011, 10:39 AM
I started using the blue plastic buckets that are copies of the aluminum ones last year and they work well. They use regular sap bucket lids and when there is sap in them you can see the level through the side. So you don't have to walk back to check if you really did collect the sap from that bucket like you thought you did. Besides saving a lot of steps they are light, made with FDA plastic, should last a long time and can be purchased for anywhere from five to seven dollars.

buck3m
02-21-2011, 10:52 AM
If aluminum buckets are ok why not aluminum pans? I've made several and they work good.

We used aluminum pans over wood fires for ten seasons or so, with no damage as far as I can tell. Seems to me there must be a pretty good reason why they aren't made commercially, however.

Indiana-Jones
02-21-2011, 02:52 PM
Greenhorn here, I was wondering about the aluminum pan issue, I have been boiling in two aluminum turkey fryers and finishing in stainless for two weeks. It all tastes good. So It is a melting issue, not a contamination problem.

Roger that??

Brent
02-21-2011, 03:15 PM
We used aluminum the first two years on turkey friers. Never detected a taste problem.

But we did have melt downs. I think the grade of aluminum has a lot to do with it. Once again, cheap chinese pots are just that.

buck3m
02-21-2011, 05:25 PM
...not a contamination problem.

I think it's safe to say that. http://www.madsci.org/posts/archives/2000-11/974150903.Ch.r.html