PDA

View Full Version : checking my math

tuckermtn
02-12-2011, 08:44 PM
Was talking with a buddy about sap and folks bottling sap for drink...

got me thinking about what a gallon of sap is potentially worth to me.

wanted to check my math with you all...

lets say for an average it takes 55 gallons of sap to make one gallon of syrup, and I can average $55 per gallon of finished syrup. I know there are lots of other costs involved with a sugaring operation, but if my math is right, one gallon of sap COULD yield $1 worth of syrup...is that correct?

makes me look at the 5 gal gathering pail and the 425 gallon truck tank a little differently now....

Rossell's Sugar Camp
02-12-2011, 09:17 PM
Yes. Thats how i always have thought of it

Haynes Forest Products
02-12-2011, 11:21 PM
What happend to the 40 to 1 rule at 2%

tuckermtn
02-13-2011, 05:20 AM

that would make it even better...

I'm usually 1.6 to 2.0 so I went with worse case scenario...and if I'm selling retail in pints, I'm doing quite a bit better than $55 a gallon...

WESTVIRGINIAMAPLER
02-13-2011, 07:07 AM
My sap is usually about 50 to 1 ratio and I retail all of my syrup and it averages out to $ 50+ per gallon and I always figure that one gallon of sap is worth $ 1.

DrTimPerkins
02-13-2011, 07:51 AM

That's close. To estimate the syrup yield from sap, use the Jones Rule of 86.

86 divided by the sap sugar content in % = the # gallons sap required (at the given SSC) to make 1 gal of syrup.

CH Jones was a UVM Professor and Head of the VT Agricultural Experiment Station back in the late-1800s through the early-1900s. He did some of the early research on chemistry and microbiology of sap and maple syrup. We still look back at some it it today on occasion.

johnallin
02-13-2011, 09:17 AM
Not too loud Dr Tim; - frank may be listening...

collinsmapleman2012
02-13-2011, 09:31 AM
johnallin, top notch job on the sugarhouse, really need to start one for myself.

wally
02-15-2011, 09:50 AM
My sap is usually about 50 to 1 ratio and I retail all of my syrup and it averages out to $ 50+ per gallon and I always figure that one gallon of sap is worth $ 1.

not quite that easy. the sap has to be turned into syrup (as you well know). it is potential only. as sap, it's only worth a fraction of that hypothetical $1. the other parts are the fuel needed to turn that sap into syrup, the time (labor), the depreciation on the evaporator, the depreciation on the tubing/collecting equipment, the tax cost for those who have a sugar house, etc.

the true "value" of the sap is closer to 10-cents to 20-cents per gallon. otherwise, you'd pay $50 for 50 gallons of sap, but all you'd have is sap. then you'd have to turn it into syrup, which is a significant factor in the cost of syrup.

i'd gladly sell ALL of my sap this year for $1.00 per gallon. however, that only includes the sap. "you" have to collect it.

wally

morningstarfarm
02-15-2011, 01:31 PM
for a dollar a gallon for sap..I'll sell you all of mine..I'll even collect it..you just have to come get it...cash please:D

3rdgen.maple
02-15-2011, 11:32 PM
Heck I will let mine go for 90 cents a gallon I will collect it and if you are close enough I will pipe it right to your shack. If you are in another state I will deliver it. Just dont check the sugar content I will provide you with so much you wont have time to check it anyways.