PDA

View Full Version : Is 1 cup too little to end up with in the pan?

emu742
02-12-2011, 03:51 PM
I'd like to split the approx 10 gallons sap I'll be collecting into atleast 2 batches (a pint each), if not 4 - in case I ruin a few (this is my first time).

BUT...can I safely boil down syrup to just 1 cup - or will that be too thin of a layer in the pan and cause scorching?

Should I instead just plan on trying to do 5 gal at a time for a pint each?

len
02-12-2011, 04:15 PM
It can be accomplished. I did 3- 4 gallon batches of sap last year on a 12 x 20 ss hotel pan. The evaporator must be abolutely level both front to rear, as well as side to side. I used a stainless spatula to both skim the foam, as well as stir the pan. The fire must not be fed at a certain point to allow the coals to work when the pan is low. Another thing is you won't get it to syrup density, and will have to remove it, filter it, and then finish it inside on the kitchen stove.
Prior to finishing inside, the evaporator pan was filled partially with water, set back on the evaporator, then topped up with water, and allowed to heat up using the remaining coals (washed after each batch). These are some of the details of the process that I followed.

BTW, what are the specs of your equiptment that you'll be using?

maple flats
02-12-2011, 04:39 PM
Very risky but possible.

red maples
02-12-2011, 06:09 PM
Once you get closer to being done I would just bring it in and finish it on the stove ...Or.... just boil down to a resaonable amount that you can fit in your fridge and use that to sweeten your pan next time or once to get down to the same point in the next batch add in that gallon , 1/2 gallon what ever. This way you don't risk a scorched pan.

peacemaker
02-12-2011, 06:50 PM
yeah if your boiling in a qt pan

len
02-12-2011, 08:36 PM
For a reference, a 12 x 20 inch ss pan is about 1 gallon for each inch of depth. 1/4 inch depth is a quart, so the fire will need to be cooling down to avoid scorching the pan. I believe I went lower, but not much, so it means more finishing in a smaller container.

Haynes Forest Products
02-12-2011, 11:25 PM
Why risk it if that is all your making in a day I would wait and have better control. I do remember the first time I made less than that and got everyone huddled around to look and taste it and then it was gone. Back out the next day drilling holes like a possesed maniac:)

WESTVIRGINIAMAPLER
02-13-2011, 07:00 AM
Boil it down low in the pan and take it off and finish it in a small pot on your kitchen stove.

SeanD
02-13-2011, 07:31 AM
No sense in going through the risk over the fire. The whole idea of boiling outside is because you are releasing large amounts of steam into the air and doing that inside a house makes a mess.

However, if you are planning on ending up with a pint of syrup at the end, you are not releasing that much water especially at the end. So, in your last gallon of liquid in the pan you only need to boil off 7 pints of water or so. That will steam your windows, but not destroy any wallpaper or photographs.

If you kill the fire early and let the coals simmer the pan outside, you will cut down the amount you bring inside even more without much risk of scorching, but definitely do not try to finish that amount outside. Do not feed that fire when you have no less than an inch or so in your pan.

Sean

mike z
02-13-2011, 10:40 AM
I think 40 drops of sap would give you 1 drop of syrup. I wouldn't bother with anything less. Just don't spill any sap. :)

emu742
02-13-2011, 09:25 PM
Hmm well... I am just going to be tapping 1 little old tree :) ... I'm planning on bring it in during the day to set on my wood stove to evap a bit... then freeze that, then when I have enough, boil it down more on the kitchen stove in a small saucepan until I get syrup. So you can see, I'm trying to figure out how to process it minimally (part boil, then freeze, then reboil) but also split it up in case I mess up. I'd like to have atleast 2 or 4 chances haha, beings it's my first time :D

I just don't know if that's a worse plan, since 1 cup in a saucepan may be too shallow? 2 cups may be ok?

I'm not worried about it evaporating all day on my wood stove I have a big pot of water on it right now evaporating all day every day and hardly budges my 22% dry as bones humidity in here. Only thing I wonder is...maybe that's not strong enough of heat, and will degrade it being heated for so long sitting on my woodstove all day?