PDA

View Full Version : partially evap. sap, freeze, boil some more?

emu742
02-12-2011, 03:49 PM
My freezer won't hold 10 gall - but I hate to think I'm going to end up with molasses colored syrup processing it too much.

Will it hold up ok if I bring in a bit of sap each day, boil it a little, freeze it and then boil a large batch of those 'mini boils' in one pot eventually?

Could that possibly even make it better than if I were to boil many gallons at once for a longer time (causing it to be heated for a longer time)?

* as a side question - can I dump in my partially boiled sap into the frozen already partially boiled jars in the freezer, or should I do a new jar each time? That might be way too many jars if I try to do that...and I don't really want to use plastic bags or anything like that.

Beweller
02-12-2011, 07:33 PM
If you bottle it hot, no need to freeze. See the "Buddy Sap" report in the UVM publications list. Mix is OK, but reheat to about boiling after mixing cold concentrate and hot concentrate before re-bottling.

Best results if, when ready to continue concentrating, you boil down any fresh sap to about the sugar content of your stored concentrate before combining.

3rdgen.maple
02-12-2011, 11:59 PM
Bottle at 185 and you dont need to freeze. Some do anyways but I never have nor anyone in my family. If your boiling everyday there is no need to freeze your sap/almost syrup either let it sit overnight or a couple days and go at it again.

emu742
02-13-2011, 09:30 PM
Thank you for all the great tips. I so much appreciate since this is my first time around. I never even thought about the fact its sterile if I bottle it at that temp that makes sense.