PDA

View Full Version : How to make your own pan

rhpagejr
02-12-2011, 10:38 AM
Can I make my own pan using regular pluming solder? I dont have a welder, but I can solder like a pro.
Thanks

nas
02-12-2011, 11:51 AM
You can use plumbing silver solder, but you must use different flux. With the right flux it is not hard. With plumbing flux it is impossible.
This is what I used to repair my soldered pan. http://www.lenoxtools.com/Pages/Product.aspx?id=HighActivitySSLFlux

Nick

maple flats
02-12-2011, 05:22 PM
To solder SS you need the right flux and solder. Leader used to sell both, likely still do. I use silver solder when I do any. Harder to do than copper tubing and fittings but pateince pays off. I have soldered both with a torch and with soldering irons. To do a fitting (like a thermometer fitting or such you can use a torch, carefully) To do long seams you will do far better with soldering irons. To use, clean the surfaces with a SS brush and the proper flux. Then file off any dirty surface on the soldering iron, heat the iron slightly and rub it on sal ammoniac. Then heat the iron, apply solder to the iron and hold it against the seam to solder. It takes some practice but do some scrap pieces to practice. After you solder a section you can neaten it up by sliding the hot iron over the joint. Use an iron with good mass, small ones don't hold temp long enough and get very frustrating. The pro's use a cast iron oven (usually propane fired), they set 2 or 3 irons in the fire [oven] and when hot use one. As it cools they put it back in the flame and use the next one. You will just need to take more time. I have about 15 irons for different jobs but they are not cheap if you buy new. I bought mine as a lot and I got a good deal. Oh, and welcome aboard rhpagejr

maple flats
02-12-2011, 05:25 PM
Another thought. You might want to make the pan out of copper. Copper pans heat extremely well and are easy to solder. Make sure you use lead free.