PDA

View Full Version : Sugarhouse Eats!

ADKMAPLE
02-12-2011, 06:53 AM
Let hear what some of you folks eat in your sugarhouse. I am sure that there are some of you that fire up the evaps before the first light thereby having breakfast, lunch and dinner in the shack? Do you go easy with donuts, sandwiches and a slice of pizza or do you get alittle more fancy?

Every year the folks that I help out do a large pancake breakfast/dinner in their shack with fresh drawn syrup of course, bacon/sausage etc.

Anyone else?

collinsmapleman2012
02-12-2011, 07:12 AM
i usually take a frying pan out and set it on the exposed part of my arch. i usually have eggs for breakfast, hot dogs for lunch, and then i scavenge for dinner:)

Dennis H.
02-12-2011, 08:18 AM
You have time to eat!!!!

Man I must be doing something wrong??

3rdgen.maple
02-12-2011, 10:30 AM
Unlike the good old days when I was a kid putting hot dogs and eggs or bacon in the syrup pan is a big no no now. I take the finisher off the burner and put a pan on it. Put some almost done syrup in it and boil hotdogs, eggs bacon, if you never had a hotdog boiled in almost syrup you are missing out on life. I have a flat burner in there as well and will cook pancakes and such. I cannot afford the time to leave the sugarhouse to get something to eat when the tanks are full and it is somewhat of a tradition anyways. The funny thing is I think my neighbors who live down the road have the most sensative nose to food ever. Seems everytime I start cooking something he walks in the door with a big ole grin and says what we eating now. LOL Man I almost forgot the venison sausage links.

beetree
02-12-2011, 11:21 AM
For us its Smokey links and hard boiled eggs boiled in almost done syrup. We'v wrapped potatoes in foil and baked them in the ash pan. Dont know about you all but I worked up a powerful thirst which I satisfied with lots of coffee an occasional bottle of wood chuck draft cider. (hope to make my own next year!)

cncaboose
02-12-2011, 12:39 PM
Pots of homemade soup heated on the filter/canner unit are great. We put a stainless bread cooling rack over the syrup pan and heat up foil wrapped biscuits to have fresh syrup on too. Best part is hotdogs and marshmallows toasted by the ash pit door. You've got ot use a long fork though or you'll scorch your knuckles.

peacemaker
02-12-2011, 02:37 PM
stews ,gas grill set up with hamburgers and steaks, sausage and i always have had a higher the bar height shelf to put a plate on and i can just walk over and eat in between firing pickles of course and salt chips...another favorites is canned potatoes and onions and hamburger mixed in i also like to cook venny sausage in the ash door

adk1
02-12-2011, 02:51 PM
yeah, the ol sap dogs are the way to go. I dont plan on selling any of my syrup so I will probably continue that tradition.

BryanEx
02-12-2011, 02:54 PM
This thread is making me hungry with tons of great ideas for good eats this year. Keep 'em coming!

70 Buick
02-12-2011, 04:32 PM
last year we were outside 7 we had to go in to eat

this year with the new shack all these ideas will be given a good try LOL

the best part is having a lot of freinds to enjoy the experience with!!

markct
02-12-2011, 04:52 PM
well this year we have a woodstove now too, and over the winter have made a few pancakes and hot dogs on it, but last year during sugar season the food was usualy hot dogs or sausage cooked on the back of the evap right near where the base stack sits

Rhino
02-12-2011, 05:00 PM
Our 200 gallon tank that holds the water off our piggyback is our hot meal maker. We put soup cans in there, venison polish sausage in zip lock bags in there, and sometimes we take some of the hot water and make some stove top stuffing as a side dish. Usually it is a eat on the run type of days, but at night when there is only cooking to be done, thats when we can eat a little better. Sometimes my dad will cook up a nice meal in the hunting cabin that we can enjoy after a long day also. There is usually some type of snack close to the finishing unit though.

firetech
02-12-2011, 07:11 PM
Well it will be insteresting this year as I'm putting the kitcken together today and tommorrow. Gas and electric ranges full size fridge micro wave and coffee pot. Plan an feeding the sap crews when they get all picked up. Table and chairs for all to sit for a spell.

Sugarmaker
02-12-2011, 08:00 PM
Several nights during long boils we pick up pizza subs from Reeds in Albion. Its become part of the tradition in our sugarhouse.
We also cook hot dogs very quickly on the wood fire in the arch. Love a blackened dog with maple mustard maple BBQ and some onions.
Another favorite is a fried egg sandwich with some warm maple syrup on the side.
We have been known to also boil some eggs and dip them in syrup too.
"We may not do much, but we sure eat good!"
SM

cpmaple
02-12-2011, 08:05 PM
While I'm boiling and kids are gather after school at night i hotdogs,hamburgers, and venison. Kids love to do there homework and watch me boil. On friday nights we always order pizza for a thank you to the kids for helping. They love sugaring time of year because its about the only time they get soda everyday for helping me out around the sugarhouse. cpmaple

Flat Lander Sugaring
02-13-2011, 07:48 AM
I dont do much but pizza and beer, but my bro-inlaw does fish fries and hind quarters of venison on a rotisary. most time theres like 2 guys cooking the other 5 or 6 feed the fire and do other stuff around sugar house.

slammer3364
02-13-2011, 10:07 AM
we have pancakes, potatoe pancakes,liverwurst,srapple,venison sausage home made soups,and plenty of made deserts,and when the snow melts of some ,plenty of leek dip with triscuts................

Potters3
02-13-2011, 06:00 PM
Hot dogs / eggs boiled in sap (off the evap and then thrown away). Pretzels, pizza if someone can go get use one.

Last year we did t bone steaks over ashes scouped out of the arch. I help out my neighbor he had bought a whole beef in the fall and did not think tbones where any good. He had eaten all the burger and left the steaks in the freezer. I showed him what to do with them several times

Haynes Forest Products
02-13-2011, 06:58 PM
Have the Home Depot smoker grill outside the shack. a good old wood fire with Charcoal and its a free for all. Brats and Good old Seboygan hot dogs ( course ground meat) cook till they split. I could eat them morning, noon and night. I dont care about having a nice sit down meal when the evap is rocking and the tanks are over flowing. I hate to not be doing the maple thing so its eat on the run and wash my shirt later and get in the truck we need gas in the vac pumps and things to do and people to see. QUICK GET IN THE TRUCK you can eat later

3% Solution
02-14-2011, 10:00 AM
Well this is easy, anything the wife cooks up and brings out!!!!
Really love the Sweet Italian Sausage subs, with plenty of peppers and onions.
Always got a container of snacks out there.
Also, a boiling soda when we're done so as to toast the days syrup.

Dave

Dave

peckfarm
02-14-2011, 04:14 PM
... leek dip with triscuts................

Tell me of this leek dip...

Toblerone
02-14-2011, 04:34 PM
We usually take turns going inside to eat whatever Sister Diane has made.... Quiche, soup, fresh bread. At the evaporator I like coffee (or a hot chocolate packet if I'm already caffeinated) made with sweet sap off the evaporator.

I'm curious about the leek dip too!

3rdgen.maple
02-14-2011, 10:25 PM
We usually take turns going inside to eat whatever Sister Diane has made.... Quiche, soup, fresh bread. At the evaporator I like coffee (or a hot chocolate packet if I'm already caffeinated) made with sweet sap off the evaporator.

I'm curious about the leek dip too!

Kids and sometimes myself like hot chocolate, I cant believe I never thought to use the sap, I feel stupid cause we use it to make coffee sometimes. Thanks for the tip on that one. Oh and I just have to throw it out there again if you guys never tried a sap dog you are missing out. Just dont do it on the evaporator if you are retailing syrup. A pan on the burner with very very sweet sap, a package or dogs last about a second they are a big hit.

maplefrank
02-15-2011, 07:40 AM
i make coffee and tea and hot chocolate out of sap from the back pan...... it helps when your out there at 2 in the morning!!!!!!!!

red maples
02-15-2011, 08:42 AM
Well this time of year there is always Reese's peanut butter hearts and eggs I always have a stash of those.

Hotdogs are a staple and you don't need a fridge to keep 'em cold. open a can of bush's maple baked beans and of course hit it with some more syrup just to sweeten it up and cook the dogs right in the beans!!! follow up with a few shots of maple syrup and a boilin' soda chaser and your good to go!!!

And the usual sandwich on the go!!!

Toblerone
02-15-2011, 10:31 AM
I'll have to try the hot dog thing... with a separate pot of near-syrup of course! If I ever boiled at night, a few of these "boiling sodas" everyone is talking about sounds really good ;). Or, as I made over Christmas, a maple leaf cocktail: 1.5oz Maker's Mark, .5oz lemon juice, .5oz maple syrup. I enjoyed it cold, but wonder if hot it would be even better! I'll have to try that one.

Dill
02-15-2011, 10:38 AM
We have the "Mason-Dixon" shot, hot syrup off the evap with Jack Daniels on top of it in a double shot glass. They don't mix and taste pretty **** good.

adk1
02-15-2011, 11:02 AM
that is pretty "sweet"

red maples
02-15-2011, 04:13 PM
if you like it sweet!!! Flag hill winery (in lee, nh) makes a "sugar maple liquor" its not bad on ice by itself I add a 1/2 oz or 1 oz of syrup just to sweeten it up (depending on my maple needs for that time) and some times a little white creme de cacao. just a nice sweet sipper!!!

poolguy
02-15-2011, 07:28 PM
mmmmm pickled beef heart and tounge.....pickled pig hocks......creamed herring.....liver pate'......smoked oysters. mmmmm i can hardly wait for the first boil!

adk1
02-15-2011, 07:40 PM
poolguy, herring in wine or soour cream souce, liverwurst, smoked oysters, hecla and dont forget the sardines!

HobbitMannor
02-16-2011, 05:17 AM
We eat a lot of pancakes and french toast with bacon and sausage. Hamburgers are also a hit. I remember one year we even had our Easter dinner in the sugarhouse! Can't wait to get going this year!!!!! =)

maplwrks
02-16-2011, 06:09 AM
Nothing better than corned beef and cabbage on St. Pattys day, while boiling!!

Dave Y
02-16-2011, 06:53 AM
Nothing better than corned beef and cabbage on St. Pattys day, while boiling!!

Now I'll second that!

buxtonboiler
02-16-2011, 12:00 PM
We like to have what we refer to as "gut busters". this is a large hambuger with Jalepeno Jack cheeze, 3 strips of thick bacon, lettuce, tomato, and onion, on a fresh bulkie roll. served with homemade french fries.:)

adk1
02-16-2011, 01:25 PM
I would eat that anywhere!

BoarsNest
02-16-2011, 05:50 PM
Pizza from the Hilltop Grocery and Founder's Dirty Bastard to chase it down.