PDA

View Full Version : firebrick

nmerritt
10-07-2005, 06:25 PM
Just got my new leader 2x6 put together. Looks good, little higher than I thought. I just bricked it 2 days ago and the cement is still tacky. How long does it take to harden?

brookledge
10-07-2005, 07:26 PM
What kind of cement did you use?
Keith

nmerritt
10-08-2005, 11:10 AM
Refractory Cement. Not sure the actual brand. Bucket said once set, it is as hard as the bricks themselves. Hope it works, kind of a pain setting all the bricks. Not to mention Leader recomended 75 bricks and I think I finished with 120. This is with little waste.

WF MASON
10-08-2005, 01:34 PM
Try sticking a heat lamp in the firebox on the grates overnite or burning up the sunday paper over a couple hours to help them dry.

WESTVIRGINIAMAPLER
10-08-2005, 07:31 PM
When I laid my firebrick in, the cement was a little rubbery for a couple of days or more but it eventually dried. It was in the middle of summer and hot, so that helped a lot.

Either way, the bucket cement works really good and holds good too! :D

Parker
10-09-2005, 04:56 AM
I used refractory cement in my arch then put my 2 Mr.Heater's in the arch and coverd it with some meatel roofing,,kept them going for 2 days (in febuary),,it was tacky the first day,,came int it the second day,,,as hard as the bricks now

sawyer40
10-23-2005, 03:58 PM
I'm in the process of building my firebox now. My question is can I use regular cement to lay up the brick then plaster it with the refractory cement? The problem I have is that I want to use the brick that came out of it when I bought it. But cleanning the cement off of them without breaking them is a real time consumming job. I didn't price new brick maybe I should see how much they are.

WESTVIRGINIAMAPLER
10-23-2005, 05:35 PM
Refractory cement is designed to hold a bond even in heat and regular cement or morter will break down and fail. :?

John Burton
10-23-2005, 06:36 PM
I've been considering doing a rebrick of my arch before this season. I was thinking of using the 1 inch insulating board with the half bricks.does anyone have any experience with that board insulation? also what would be the proper number of bricks for a 2x6 raised flue , leader old style arch front . also any tips would be appreciated

brookledge
10-23-2005, 09:11 PM
John,
Leaders maple syrup guide says approx. 75 brick for the whole arch. If you have the old style arch that slants outwards I think you would be ok with a thin brick with 1" board behind. I would recomend the full size brick in the fire box because they will last longer. I think you will find that the half brick are about the same price as full size so why not go with the full size. You still can use the 1" board
Keith

John Burton
10-23-2005, 09:41 PM
I wasnt really concerned with price ,so much as putting insulating board behind the full bricks would reduce the size of the firebox more.

Parker
10-24-2005, 03:33 AM
If you can get the board behinde the brick its definatly worth it,,I used board where I could then put ceramic blanket everywhere ealse in the arch,,really keeps the heat in,,,,,,,Sawyer 40,,I think you need to put the refractory cement between the bricks as your laying them up,,I dont belive it would adhear to the outside of the bricks if you plasterd a skin of it over them,,it peeled right off mine where I tried that,,,,good luck!

forester1
10-24-2005, 08:56 AM
I used the arch board and half brick on my evaporator. That was the the recommendation from Garth at waterloo/small at the time I bought it. I ended up using full brick on the bottom and ramp up to the flue pan since I had used brick on hand but I used the half brick and arch board on the sides and back. I used refractory cement that came in the buckets pre-mixed.

Russ008
10-24-2005, 09:03 PM
I fired my evaporator up after the cement dryed a couple days, I'm just guessing that the heat from the fire cured the cement. The bricks all still holding. Good Luck

doocat
10-28-2005, 09:52 AM
Where is the cheapest place to buy the ceramic board. I see the rolls of ceramic on e-bay but have not seen the board.

Maple Hill Sugarhouse
10-28-2005, 10:56 AM
Try this company= www.mcgillswarehouse.com/SearchResults.aspx

Iver
11-04-2005, 12:01 PM
I'm starting on bricking this weekend. We have a new 2x6 and I was planning on full bricks near the front of the arch, with halfs back and on the sides. I have about 50, and am going to buy around 50 more full bricks. Does that sound right?