PDA

View Full Version : Who Has W. F. Mason Drop Tube Evaporator

briansickler
02-11-2011, 06:30 PM
Who on the Trader has a WF Mason Drop Tube Evap? I have lots of questions for you. How do you clean the flue pan with the tubes? How are the boiling rates compared to the rates he is claiming on the we site? Most of all how well do you like the set up? Any info will be greatly appreciate. Thanks

Brian

wiam
02-12-2011, 11:51 AM
I bought a 2 X 6 last year and made 425 gallons on it. I had under fire forced draft and a preheater with a not very tight hood. Most of the time I was feeding about 160 degree sap. Stack temp was about 850. The night I got ahead of the RO we had to turn the RO up to about a gallon/minute to keep the feed tank from being empty:o I would buy another one in a heartbeat. This year It will have air over fire.

Will

wiam
02-12-2011, 11:57 AM
Forgot about cleaning. I wish boxes on back pan were as tall as pan. I plugged the floatbox connector and tilted the pan so other box was even with back of pan, then filled with 150 degree water and pan cleaner. I left it for a couple of days then drained it and used my pressure washer with 150 degree water. Did noe get everything off lower tubes but close enough.

I bought 2 twisted wire 3" round brushes (for cleaning pellet soves) and welded the handles together to get a long enough brush to clean soot from inside of tubes.

Will

western mainer
02-12-2011, 03:16 PM
wiam, So how many taps do you have? And how many hours a day are you running the evaporator?
Brian

Gary R
02-12-2011, 06:25 PM
PM SDURF, he just got rid of a 2X4 drop tube. He upgraded to a regular 2X6. He boiled on it for a couple of years.

archerybs
02-12-2011, 06:52 PM
I am looking for the pros and cons of the drop tube style evaporators as well. I'm thinking of making a 3' or 4' x 8' back pan this summer but would like to hear from someone that has used this style of pan. Thanks

wiam
02-12-2011, 07:39 PM
875 taps
4-5hours