PDA

View Full Version : Document explaining How Evaporators Work?

PapaSmiff
02-11-2011, 01:49 PM
I'm hoping to upgrade, next year, to a "real" evaporator. I want to expand beyond my turkey fryer's capacity. But before I research the appropriate evaporator setup for my operation, I need a better understanding of the entire evaporation process - from head tank to draw off.

Is there a document that describes all of the different components of an evaporator system and their purpose? The evaporator manuals I've seen online don't seem to cover everything. They seem to assume that you already know the components and what they do.

I've seen some videos on youtube, but they fall short also. Does anyone have any ideas? I want to truly understand the options for feeding sap to the preheater. What is a drop flue or raised flue pan? What's the function of a float box? etc., etc. Although all of that information is on MapleTrader, I need to read it in a structured, organized manner.

If anyone can point me to a document, I'd greatly appreciate it. Once I understand how it works, I'll visit some sugarshacks nearby.

Ausable
02-11-2011, 03:37 PM
Papa Smiff -- I hear ya and understand what you are asking for -- cause I'm going thru the same process myself. Just this year I finally learned the difference between a raised and drop flue pan. It would really be great to have a Syrup Makers Manual --- That could show a step by step - using the different systems - that included pictures or drawings - using laymans terms -- or if the proper term is required include an explanation. This is a great site and all the information we need is here -- we just have to sew it all together somehow........ Mike

adk1
02-11-2011, 03:40 PM
do you have the NA Maple Producers Manual? If not, you should.

Gary R
02-11-2011, 05:28 PM
The NA producers manual is excellent. Also, Penn State, Ohio State and Cornell have web sites for maple. Here is the link for Cornell. You need to search their sites for articles and papers.

http://maple.dnr.cornell.edu/

Ausable
02-11-2011, 06:03 PM
Thanks Gentleman -- I use search engines all the time --- Daaaahhhh on my part -- Mike

Ausable
02-11-2011, 06:33 PM
Gary - Went to the Cornell Site -- Good Site --- Thanks -- Mike

stoweski
02-11-2011, 06:47 PM
Gotta be honest, my best info came from visiting a few shacks and watching them in action. One thing I realized rather quickly is that even though it's a busy time of year, every sugarmaker I've run into has made time to talk about the process and explain things to me that I don't understand.

The nice part about visiting several sugarhouses is it exposes you to many different ideas and considerations (and quirks) of the sugarmakers. You can see their entire setup and ask questions. You'll learn what to do... and in some cases what not to do!

I'd suggest trying to visit three different size operations - 200 taps or less, under 1000 taps, and then the sky's the limit. And if you visit several that are the size of the operation you would like to run later you'll gain a lot of different ideas. I'm willing to bet that if you visited four different sugarhouses that all tap 200 trees you'll find four different setups.

It never hurts asking questions, especially if they start talking and throw out words you don't understand.

Feel free to post questions on the trader if you can't find the answer. That's what we're here for. But go visit a few places too. And have fun!

I do agree with you though... there should be a 'beginner's guide'. The NAMPM is very good, but not a beginner's guide.

Keith

PapaSmiff
02-11-2011, 07:48 PM
Thanks, everyone, for your replies. I bookmarked the NAMSPM (1996 edition) a long time ago, but didn't think to look there. I've also been on the Cornell, UVM, and Ohio State sites. I don't recall seeing anything there. But I'll look again.

Keith - I have seen one producers operation, and he was extremely helpful. He got me started with my first taps. But at the time, I was baffled by all of the equipment and didn't want him to have to go through everything with me. I always feel better when I have a basic understanding FIRST, then I can get more value from the visit without wasting their precious time explaining the basics to me. I have plans to see a few more operations this season.

Thanks again for the help. Now I have to bury my face in the manual for a few hours. I'm sure I'll have more questions later.