PDA

View Full Version : Ottawa Valley Information Day

can'twaitforabigrun
02-11-2011, 08:12 AM
The Ottawa Valley Chapter of the Ontario Maple Syrup Producer's Association will be hosting their annual Information Day at Mapleton House (3505 Hwy.#28, near Hardwood Lake) Saturday Feb. 12th from 9 a.m.-3 p.m. Topics will include how to filter maple syrup, update on maple research, tips for the small producer, and work being done on the health benefits of maple. A site visit to the Mapleton operation is planned after the workshop. Admission is free. Lunch will be on site on your own. maple syrup equipment suppliers will be on site.
Info. 613-735-2366
mapleside@renc.igs.net
info@mapletohouse.ca
Mapleton House 613-758-2182

ennismaple
02-11-2011, 01:51 PM
Enjoy Don Dodds' demonstration of the Lapierre Sirofilter - we love ours! Our OMSPA meeting was 3 weeks ago and there were some good presentations by the various manufacturers and others. Hopefully the weather is good for those who have to travel.

BryanEx
02-11-2011, 07:02 PM
Why is the OMSPA web site so poorly maintained? I would have attended both of these meetings had I known about them. Their membership form still shows as 2010 last time I looked (last week). Am I wrong in saying that it seems the local chapters are very active but the Provincial organization is AWOL? I passed on joining once again this year as I don't see any benefit (online) of spending the money but would love to be involved with other local producers.

- Bryan

Buckshot
02-11-2011, 08:03 PM
There is a maple syrup workshop on Friday Feb 25th in Dorset ON. Geared towards the backyard or small commerical maple syrup producers. Info on managing and producing maple syrup, as well as a tour of a family sugar bush. Cost is $25, and includes pancake & sausage lunch.
Follow the link to view the brochure.
http://www.ontariostewardship.org/councils/haliburton/files/SS10_11BrochureFINAL.pdf

Have to agree that the OMSPA website is in need of some serious updating. I too will not spend money joining this organization until they start maintaining the site. Is there some other way of finding out what the local chapters are up to? I found the above workshop through my Ontario Woodlot Association's website, and I would certainly travel a few hours to attend any maple workshop/convention in the Eastern Ontario region.

can'twaitforabigrun
02-13-2011, 01:46 PM
According to the fall newsletter OSMPA is in the process of redesigning their website. Most info. about local meetings is in the OSMPA newsletters, I found out about the recent one in the local newspaper; the Eganville Leader.

ennismaple
02-13-2011, 07:43 PM
The OMPSA rep said at our meeting that the new website should be ready to launch soon. I do agree that it has been ignored too long. I'm looking forward to the new site.