PDA

View Full Version : old plastic taps with two hose connections ?

sugar ED
02-11-2011, 01:26 AM
frist off I use 5/16 treesaver taps on gravity pipeline,but my dad pick up these (150 or so plastic taps with two hose connections across face of tap). Ok 1st dislike-there 7/16, second -was told to use around the tree starting the 1st one higher than the next by atleast 2" (depending on the size of the tree) the 3rd would be 4" down from the 1st than off to the mainline or next tree with a 4% drop ( top/1st tap having an open 5/16 hose for flow) OK my question..... wouldn't this allow vacuum from tree( 3rd/lowest tap) to suck the sap back ,from the first two taps ? also told by another saper, lol, to use them only on the ends with the hose nipples up and down??? ok my best thought would be get rid of them unless some one can help ... thanks Ed

Thompson's Tree Farm
02-11-2011, 04:44 AM
Keep a couple for your collection of spouts and taps. I would not use them.

Flat47
02-11-2011, 06:07 AM
Those old blue Lamb spouts were designed for open (vented) gravity systems of the '70s and '80s. I've seen lots of them in use with one side capped off.

sfsshadow
02-11-2011, 07:22 AM
i remember using them,back in the early 70s. vented systems were tryed for only a couple of years. we used 4ft. droplines and ran the tubing on the ground.

jasonl6
02-11-2011, 07:29 AM
I have allot of them. I have considered doing a test woods using them with a wet/dry type setup for better vac transfer.

Jason

twitch
02-11-2011, 08:14 AM
I have allot of them. I have considered doing a test woods using them with a wet/dry type setup for better vac transfer.

Jason

i just got 25 of them given to me i was also not sure what to do with them but now i know

jasonl6
02-11-2011, 09:55 AM
i just got 25 of them given to me i was also not sure what to do with them but now i know

If you need more let me know i have several 5 gal buckets full of them.

Should be a simular principle to the thought of going with 1/2" Lateral lines.

Jason

highroadsyrup
02-11-2011, 10:33 AM
I still have quite a few in some lines. I have capped one end. I didnt seem to have any issues with the adapters or check valves loosening up with the lamb spiles.

mapleack
02-11-2011, 01:19 PM

Jason

Good idea, use them with a throwaway tip to create a dual line system. I like it.

sugar ED
02-11-2011, 10:42 PM
I did try a few last year on two trees about 5' around, 3 taps each going to 5 gal. pail (as mentioned in 1st thread) and two of same size trees with 5/16 drop line hook up's going to 5 gal pail .The 5/16 set up (pails)were about two to one next to the 7/16 (around the tree thing) but a little more when set up as a vented top-drop line set up >>> thats why I had thought the lower tap may have caused the drop in sap ( after reading a few treads on here) ok besides that the 5/16 holes from last year are hard to find ... and u don't need a magnifier to find the 7/16 old holes!! ,The older the tree -less healing .... So I guess if I need to use them, I'll use them caped and on the younger trees ?? I did pick up 50 more 5/16 taps, tees ect. today... The bug is bad !! lol. even with the snow storms ,high winds,shovel on hand to find the trunk, drift so deep ,though I was going to need a winch to pull me out! All because I can't wait to try my home made 2x6 arch ! I been using a barrow stove sence Dad and I made it about 20 years ago.but last year with about 175 taps I was bent over the barrow for 36 hours at a time just to keep up.Hoping to shortin that and the amount of wood I use. But the trees keep saying tap me... lol