PDA

View Full Version : Anyone use grommet tool to install grommets in aluminum buckets?

heus
02-10-2011, 08:55 PM
Many of my aluminum buckets have holes that are too small for the hook on the blue eco spouts to pass through. I bought 1/2" grommets and an installation tool from Atkinsons in Ontario. Has anyone ever used this tool? It has a rod, a thick washer, and another smaller rod. Cant for the life of me figure out how to use it. I assume the two rommet halvedss get pounded together one on either side of the hole in the bucket.

argohauler
02-12-2011, 10:38 PM
Call them or shoot them an email.

I saw them there Friday and wondered how the tool would work. I have some aluminum buckets that should have some replaced and I was wondering if I could install them on my plastic pails?

Brent
02-13-2011, 12:53 PM
I've gone through 2 of the kits from Atkinson and done a bunch of buckets. Every time I picked the danged thing up I stood and scratched my head about how to use it. Eventually figured it out. It does work. Done close to 50 buckets with it.

Just now I can't find it to give you any help though. Even when you get it figured out, if you're like me, you'll still screw up one out of every 15 or so.

Thinking back I had to put a 2 x 4 about 4' long in a vise with the bottom on the ground and the top sticking up above the vise. I cut the 2 x 4 on an angle
so I could put the lip of the bucket over the 2 x 4. Push one of the brasses with the stem on through the reamed out hole, put the other over the stem where it comes through the bucket, then use the tool to beat down and roll the edges.

That was last done 3 years ago. You know they tell you as you age you can lose your memory. What they don't tell you is you won't miss it.
I guess I'm not that far gone yet. I'm still missing what I can't remember quickly.

maplefrank
02-13-2011, 07:05 PM
does anyone know where to get bigger grommets????i would like some bigger than a 1/2 inch.......

Brent
02-13-2011, 10:25 PM
Sailmakers use bigger grommets.

You could also try to find a domestic tarpaulin maker. There aren't many left.
There is a local one at www.westerntarp.com They make a lot of truck tarps and dome buildings that have big heavy duty grommets.

Bernie/MA
02-20-2011, 04:43 PM
McMaster-Carr has them and the tool to install them.

maplefrank
03-05-2011, 08:32 PM
i found some....lord and hodge in con. i got the #6.......installing them in 6 gallon plastic pails now.........hope they work??????

Homestead Maple
03-05-2011, 09:12 PM
Do you do any shopping on Ebay? Here's a listing and there are others.
http://cgi.ebay.com/100pc-Brass-Grommet-1-2-Kit-Tarp-Tent-Canopy-Cover-Set-/370488585343?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item5642d72c7f